angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 1 of 24
26 June 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
After spending last weekend and this week looking at some other children books in Korean, I decided to set upon another goal in that elusive quest for fluency.

My new Goal now from now is to watch 100 Hours of Korean TV. This week, I found on youtube some episodes from the Korean talk show, Talking Beauties. Basically, its a group of foreign women sitting in front of a Korean audience talking fluently in Korean. I saw 1 episode and understood some of the stuff they were talking about.

I'm going to try to watch 1 or 2 hours of Korean TV every day to reach this goal. This will include Talking Beauties, some historical dramas, and some Korean news. I'm going to see how far the TV will help me in my listening skills.
1 person has voted this message useful

trauma2020
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6414 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 2 of 24
28 June 2007 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I would be careful about that TV show. Not all of the girls have a fluent accent. Why not watch something with more native speakers?

skeeterses
United States
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds

Message 3 of 24
28 June 2007 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I'll be watching other TV shows as well. But the nice thing about the Talking Beauties show is that there are foreign people speaking Korean well, and seeing that gives me hope and belief that I can master Korean.

If I only watch TV shows that have just Koreans speaking Korean, then it will only reinforce the idea that only Koreans and Asian people can speak Korean.

Alex Lee
Korea, South
victorymanual.com
Joined 6355 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 24
29 June 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
If you watch that show, make sure you mimic only a select few of the girls. The black girl (sorry, I don't know which country she's from. The states? Canada?) is probably the best Korean speaker, and the next best is Junko (one of the Japanese girls), and third may be the half-Japanese half-white girl (she is also a guest on other Korean variety shows).

My wife usually translates the funny parts of the show for me when we watch it on KBS2 over here, and I wanted to practice with it, but I'm put off by the possibility that I might get stuck in a bad foreign accent in Korean.

skeeterses
United States
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds

Message 5 of 24
02 July 2007 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Here's my progress report for this week. Today is Monday, July 2. As of today, I watched about 10 hours of Korean TV.

So far, I've watched Talk with Beauties episodes 1, 10, 11, 12, and 22, and I watched each of those episodes twice. This week, I'll try to get some other Korean TV shows in as well.

skeeterses
United States
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds

Message 6 of 24
08 July 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Sunday July 8 Progress Report.

Last week I watched Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang Episodes 1,2,3,4,5 twice which gives 10 hours. I watched the Korean news for 1 hour. And today, I watched Talk With Beauties Episode 13 for 1 hour.

The total for this week is 12 hours.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 7 of 24
18 July 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
I'm curious to know: How has this helped your comprehension thus far? Also, are you using subtitles/transcripts or are you relying solely on video?

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6276 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 24
18 July 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
By the way, don't tackle historical dramas first since they use some of uncommon speech levels and expressions which we don't use nowadays. Talking Beauties sounds alright as long as you don't get one of their accents.

For correct pronunciation you should probably go for news but they are quite boring.

Anyway, good luck with your Korean

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version