Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 9 of 24
18 July 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I'd like to add that the language you hear from a Korean historical drama is almost like the English that we see in the original 1611 King James Bible:

"The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

:)

On top of that, historical dramas usually uses very uncommon intonation, or at least the women of nobility sound awkwardly proper despite the fact that nobody talks like that except actresses.
1 person has voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 10 of 24
19 July 2007 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
I'm curious to know: How has this helped your comprehension thus far? Also, are you using subtitles/transcripts or are you relying solely on video?

The Talk With Beauties show puts some of the Korean words on the bottom, which I then copy into the dictionary. And that has helped my vocabulary improve a little bit.

I would like to be able to watch the News and the Historical Dramas but I'm going to work my way up to basic fluency before taking a crack at those difficult programs. With the News and the Historical Dramas, there's probably a lot of vocabulary that won't be useful for everyday conversations.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6276 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 24
19 July 2007 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:
I would like to be able to watch the News and the Historical Dramas but I'm going to work my way up to basic fluency before taking a crack at those difficult programs. With the News and the Historical Dramas, there's probably a lot of vocabulary that won't be useful for everyday conversations.

I really don't think the News will be as hard as you think. They speak with standard pronunciation and accent, which is something really vital for a language learner. Also most of the vocabulary in the News are words that you can use for your conversations and discussions regarding more heavy topics, and this will let you engage in more conversations not just "small talks".

But you are right about Historical dramas. Those are the last you should tackle if you want to improve your everyday conversation skills.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6276 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 24
19 July 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
PS, you could try children's channel and the cartoons from EBS.

VJ 특공대 is also alright so are many other documentary shows.

Another word of warning: don't pick up dialects before you master the standard Korean, even though they maybe fun to learn and amusing.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 13 of 24
19 July 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
I really don't think the News will be as hard as you think. They speak with standard pronunciation and accent, which is something really vital for a language learner.

While I agree with the latter, I can't agree with the former. The news has constant use of an unending list of sino-korean vocabulary words. It seems as I learn a huge number of words everyday, the vocabulary is like a neverending stream of frustration! ;)

Quote:
Also most of the vocabulary in the News are words that you can use for your conversations and discussions regarding more heavy topics, and this will let you engage in more conversations not just "small talks".

I think Skeeteres prefers a lot more small talk first ;)

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6276 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 24
20 July 2007 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Jason, your points are quite valid, but if you want to read newspapers or books (even bibles), you need to learn and get used to the Sino-Korean words. Plus, once you get to know a certain number of them, you can even guess the meaning of new Sino-Korean words, even if you don't know Hanja.

I know we all hate Sino-Korean words, I hate them myself.. :-)

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 15 of 24
20 July 2007 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
My gosh. I remember using electronic dictionaries, to discover that word I'm looking at had 5 or 6 completely different definitions because of the hanja. For example, '성' could mean 'character', or 'name', or 'sex', 'holy', or 'castle' among the many others that I haven't thought of. Typically, it's easy to figure out things based on context, but once an entire paragraph has nothing but complicated hanja, it's complete guesswork, unless someone were to simply tell me the definitions. This was always one of my problems with studying Korean vocabulary. They took too long to figure out.

I have to admit though, learning these have helped me (a bit indirectly) with Mandarin and Cantonese. I just wish it wasn't so endless ;)

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 16 of 24
20 July 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
I do look at the online Korean news once in a while. I have learned some useful words from the News, but the vocabulary is so overwhelming, I don't use the News on a daily basis.

Again, I don't have Cable TV so my choices for Korean TV over the Internet is quite limited. Nonetheless, I just don't think TV is very effective for getting up to fluency. After I reach 100 hours of Korean TV, I'm simply going to cut the Korean TV down to 30 minutes a day and get as much time with the books as possible.

20 minutes ago, I got finished reading a few pages from the Korean Harry Potter book with the help of the naver.com dictionary and I can say that it is easier than reading the Bible or the News. With Korean, it seems like the more I read, the more I hear and understand. Just by reading the easier Korean children books, I've managed to improve my Korean.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version