274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 17 of 24
20 July 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
skeeterses,

You can get access to Asian drama here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/

But it presupposes you know how to download torrents.

I'm planning on learning my languages through that :)

-Jason
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6276 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 24
20 July 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:
I do look at the online Korean news once in a while. I have learned some useful words from the News, but the vocabulary is so overwhelming, I don't use the News on a daily basis.

It's nice to hear that you are watching the news. It is quite hard since they tend to bombard difficult words at a really fast speed, but as you mentioned, they DO teach you many useful words that you can insert in your conversations to make you sound "smart". So try to watch the news as long as it doesn't tire you out.

skeeterses wrote:
20 minutes ago, I got finished reading a few pages from the Korean Harry Potter book with the help of the naver.com dictionary and I can say that it is easier than reading the Bible or the News. With Korean, it seems like the more I read, the more I hear and understand. Just by reading the easier Korean children books, I've managed to improve my Korean.

Again, I'm really glad to know that you find Harry Potter manageable. Mind you, it is one of "easier" books in Korean. You'll want to shoot yourself when you read one of those Korean novels written even in mid-20th century.

Well, as for reading improving your Korean, isn't it true with all languages? Reading books improve your language skills whatever your target language might be.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6277 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 19 of 24
22 July 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I wish you luck. I used to study Korean and watched 30-60 minutes of subtitled Korean TV every day (usually a drama or whatever). For whatever reason, my brain would not compute Korean, and tho I could read and write it just fine, after literally watching Korean TV every day for years (hey, some of those dramas are addicting), I picked up just about nothing.

By the same token, I picked up Japanese much, much easier, despite not watching much Japanese TV or movies.

But I already wrote about my love-hate relationship with Korean in another thread, so I'll just end this one by saying good luck :)

Edited by IronFist on 22 July 2007 at 2:40pm

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 20 of 24
23 July 2007 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
As of Friday of last week, here's the progress that I made for the Korean TV goal.

Since the last log entry on this, I watched Talk with Beauties Episodes 13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,23, two times each giving a total of 20 hours.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of just sticking to the morning radio for the listening input, which means I'm probably going to give up on the TV goal pretty soon. In general, I simply don't like watching too much TV, period. At this moment, I want to drastically improve my vocabulary and reading skills, which means hitting the books.

Today, I got finished with the 1st chapter of the Harry Potter Korean book; and man did I write a lot of new words into the notebook. Given that the Harry Potter in Korean is a difficult book, I'm thinking of either doing it at a slow pace of 2-3 pages a day, or spending another month on the young children's books.

If I do it at a slower pace, I could finish the book by October and still improve my reading skills for Korean. Of course, I could go faster by reading 5 pages a day and not bothering with notetaking. If I stick to the easier children's books, it could be another 6 months before I would become more comfortable with reading Korean texts. What do you people think?

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 21 of 24
23 July 2007 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
I just spent some time at a bookstore yesterday, and picked up a copy of 'Tuesdays with Morrie' (모리와 함께한 화요일) by Mitch Albom in both English and Korean. The text is easier compared to the Korean Harry Potter (which I also purchased yesterday). This thread inspired me to get back into reading ;)

Anyway, the linguistic differences between English and Korean are so vast that some things just won't translate at all. This can be a serious problem if you're looking for direct word-for-word translations.

Ultimately, when reading, I think it's best for you to understand the main idea first (by reading the English), so as to figure out what the Korean is saying as a whole (rather than grasping one word at at time).

Since Korean has some obvious syntactical differences, by focusing one word at a time, it can be very difficult to figure out the text. This has always been my experience with reading newspapers.

However, by reading an entire sentence at a time, it's easier to understand. Thus, I would suggest that you try this:

Read an entire sentence first, then pick out the vocabulary after you've read it. Or perhaps you can read an entire paragraph first, then pick out the vocabulary. Generally, by reading larger chunks (sentences) at a time, it's easier to get a sense for how the language works. Plus, the English translation will give you the comprehension you need.

I would also recommend finding a native speaker of Korean, to give you an idea of when to pause, and how to pronounce words which are not pronounced the way they look (just as English has such problems with words like 'knife' even though there is no 'k' sound).

-Jason

Edited by JasonChoi on 24 July 2007 at 10:54am

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6495 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Korean*

Message 22 of 24
24 July 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:

My new Goal now from now is to watch 100 Hours of Korean TV. This week, I found on youtube some episodes from the Korean talk show, Talking Beauties. Basically, its a group of foreign women sitting in front of a Korean audience talking fluently in Korean. I saw 1 episode and understood some of the stuff they were talking about.

I have a hard time watching that show because of the women's accents. Leslie Banfield, the black woman, does speak the most eloquently out of all the women. However, she has a slight American accent.

I wouldn't listen to news for pronunciation. Although they speak with a standard pronunciation, it certainly isn't natural. Normal people don't talk like that. I once saw a program about the training Korean newscasters went through to develop their pronunciation. It's very calculated and measured. Each syllable is isolated for clarity. They speak like robots, in my opinion. For pronunciation, I would look to movies or morning talk shows.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6199 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 23 of 24
24 July 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
jstele wrote:
They speak like robots, in my opinion.

They certainly sound more natural than their North Korean counterparts. (check out 1:40ish) :)

another link

Edited by JasonChoi on 24 July 2007 at 11:11am

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6495 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Korean*

Message 24 of 24
26 July 2007 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
jstele wrote:
They speak like robots, in my opinion.

They certainly sound more natural than their North Korean counterparts. (check out 1:40ish) :)

another link

I listened up to 1:40 and it was awkward even from the beginning.

Anyways, one can find good pronunciation from news programs like documentaries. I was watching this medical documentary and the narrator struck the right balance between newsreading and conversational speech. But I would avoid the traditional news, in general.

When I saw the way newscasters were trained, it was horrible. One of the major networks had their own training program. The instructor had students do drills of ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ ㅡ and ㅏ ㅏ ㅏ ㅏ ㅏ. It was like the military. Then, they had the newscasters read and their speech sounded like chopped pieces of sound strung together.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version