Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
06 July 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I am finally in a position to begin learning a new language! I am going to see how much I can really learn in 6 weeks. At the end of this time, I will do something to test out my skills, like speaking with some Spanish friends.
I am broke and have access to the following material:
Spanish for Dummies
Hugo TY in 3 months
Spanish Deluxe by E-learning (I like this a lot it has a microphone that rates how you sound)
Barron's Spanish on the Go
No Fear Spanish: Just the basics
A dictionary
A collection of pre-made flashcards

Today is my official start date. The last two days I have been, and will continue, to listen to Barron's while driving. I don't really pay attention, I just listen. My goal is to listen to each CD 15 times in the next 6 weeks.

The Plan:
1. TY in 3 months: 1 week per day for 5 days, 2 days review 30-45 per day. After I finish the book, I will repeat this process. First run will take 17 days. With the 2 weeks left I will use that to memorize the dialogues and all vocabulary.

2. Barron's on the Go: 15 times with each CD

3. Spanish Deluxe: one lesson per day per level. At the end of the level I will repeat all lessons and videos until I am 100% confident I know everything. The goal is to finish the 1st intermediate level. 30-45 mins per day

I will use the Spanish for Dummies and No Fear only when I don't understand a concept taught in the material above.

I will try to watch Spanish television at least 20 minutes per day. Total time dealing with Spanish should be around 2.5 hours per day.

I may update daily but at least once per week.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntothea
United States
Joined 6468 days ago

193 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Polish, French

Message 2 of 4
06 July 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Good Luck :].

Spanish is a really fun language, I hope you find as much enjoyment with it as I have.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 3 of 4
07 July 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks John, I hope so too.

DAY 2

I am finding Spanish to be fairly easy to grasp. I think I like the Latin American accent more than the European accent. The Euro accent seems to use "th' a lot. Though I can't say for sure at the moment which one I will choose (Each program uses a different accent).

TY
Gender is not at all as straight forward as in Russian. The articles aren't bad. I do not think I like the TY in 3 months course. Right after the introduction of the first verb 'tener' it lists 25 uses of it idiomatically, surely such a thing could be left till later.

Spanish Deluxe (SD):
I am learning greetings and farewells right now, as well as working over pronounciation.

Today: reviewing and a new section on each program.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 4 of 4
11 July 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Day 6
Spanish is going well. I am reviewing in TY in 3 months days 1-5. I like this overview of Spanish before formally studying it. I am learning all the basics in each section, verb forms, pronouns, etc..

I have been watching television for about 30 mins per day.

I am working through the deluxe and am on the second section of the beginner course.

I have a job now, so that does mean less time for Spanish (about 1 hour per day), but also more resources I can buy. After this 6 weeks, I want to be able to read graded readers and do that till Jan. Maybe I will start on FSI or assimil before this.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version