Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, FrenchB1, EnglishC1
Studies: GermanB1, Japanese

Message 1 of 17
11 July 2007 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Better late than never! I join the competition, too, even though I only aim to be more consistent and regular in my language study.
My main targets will be Japanese and Swedish, although I will try to keep up my English and French, and revise my German.
Here are the resources I'm going to use.

ENGLISH
I use it daily for my job (mainly with Australian and New Zelander customers). Apart from this, I'm planning to use it to read online forums and newspapers, to write e-mails to friends in Britain and to watch a few films. I'm also revising "L'inglese per te" (English for you, a 90's-audio-coursebook) to learn new idioms and words, and I am going to read at least a novel by an American author (yet to decide which one!).

FRENCH
Reading (online newspapers), writing e-mails, watching films. Revising "Il francese per te" for new idioms. Going through "Germinal" by Emile Zola (I'm halfway, now). I'm also planning a short trip to Fribourg, Switzerland, in mid-August.

SWEDISH
I'm taking a private class once a week with a Swedish girl, and we are using På svenska. I'm also using "Teach Yourself Swedish" and "Le suédois sans peine".

German
Going through "Il tedesco per te" to revise grammar and learn new words and idioms. I'm also planning a short trip to Berne, Lucerne and Zurich (I wonder how I will cope with Swiss-German, though!).

JAPANESE
I use it daily for my job, by e-mails and on the phone with customers from Japan. I regularly write e-mails to friends, too. I would like to improve my reading and listening skills, by browsing the net and watching a few films. As for study material, I'm using three "tools": "Kanji in Context" to revise and learn kanji, "Ultimate Japanese Advanced", as a general audio-coursebook, and "Comunicare giapponese", a book written by my Japanese professor from Bocconi University in Milan that mainly covers the language used in business environment.

(Edited a few typos)

Edited by hokusai77 on 11 July 2007 at 5:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds

Message 2 of 17
11 July 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Just to keep record of what I did.

Day 1
Tuesday, 11th July 2007

JAPANESE (1h20')
I listened and revised Ultimate Japanese lesson 3 dialogues while driving to work.
I wrote two e-mails to friends in Japan (and learned a new idiom: 愛情を得る "to conquer one's heart").
Revised some flashcards.

SWEDISH (1h05')
Private lesson with my Swedish teacher: I learned some expressions used for farewells, and did some exercises for verb tense use (present, past and future).
Revised some flashcards.

FRENCH (05')
Revised some flashcards.

Edited by hokusai77 on 11 July 2007 at 7:18am

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds

Message 3 of 17
12 July 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Day 2
Wednesday, 11th July

Busy day, I worked long hours and then went to the cinema. Unfortunately, I couldn't do pretty anything, except for some Japanese listening in my car and some flashcard review.

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds

Message 4 of 17
17 July 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
I didn't do pretty anything over the past weekend, because of a short trip to Lisbon... but I managed to learn a few words and basic sentences in Portuguese! Anyway, I only listened to some Japanese and reviewed some flashcards.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6287 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 17
17 July 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Welcome and good luck!

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6780 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 6 of 17
17 July 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Have you already chosen which American novel to read?

Why specifically an American author? Are you interested in American English or in American literature?

In my case I like reading modern authors, so that the language is contemporary. I usually prefer listening to an audiobook and then I check the written text for words and expressions that I don't know yet.

As for German, "Il Tedesco per te" is a very good course with plenty of oral exercises. The only thing I don't like is the lack of translations for the sentences. I hate having to refer to the glossary at the end of the booklet.

I own "Teach yourself improve your German", which is pretty good, Assimil (beginner and advanced courses) and Living Language's Ultimate Advanced German. I prefer these programs over "Il Tedesco per te". If anything, I can easily listen to the recordings with my mp3 player.

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds

Message 7 of 17
18 July 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Welcome and good luck!

Thank you!

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6992 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds

Message 8 of 17
18 July 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Luigi wrote:
Have you already chosen which American novel to read?

Why specifically an American author? Are you interested in American English or in American literature?

In my case I like reading modern authors, so that the language is contemporary. I usually prefer listening to an audiobook and then I check the written text for words and expressions that I don't know yet.

As for German, "Il Tedesco per te" is a very good course with plenty of oral exercises. The only thing I don't like is the lack of translations for the sentences. I hate having to refer to the glossary at the end of the booklet.

I own "Teach yourself improve your German", which is pretty good, Assimil (beginner and advanced courses) and Living Language's Ultimate Advanced German. I prefer these programs over "Il Tedesco per te". If anything, I can easily listen to the recordings with my mp3 player.

Hi Luigi,
Not yet. Do you have any good recommendations? I'd like to read something by an American author because I have read extensively in English, but only books by British writers.
How do you find the Teach Yourself advanced series? Living Language products are also very good, I'm using the advanced course for Japanese, and, from what I've read, the advanced courses for European languages are even better.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version