Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6194 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
15 July 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
So, I'll admit I'm rather daunted. After my hideously unsuccessful attempts throughout primary school to learn french I feel completely unprepared to once again throw myself into the murky waters of natural language learning. I had originally comforted myself with the assurance that by learning Esperanto first, I would prepare myself to learn a natural language, but now that I have actually reached that juncture in my life I am unsure. Mostly I feel that the challenge will be memorizing the various forms of each verb.

I have bought myself the textbook 'Italian Now' which I hope will give me at least a begginer's knwledge of the language. Pronunciation, while seemingly easier than English, may still be a problem. Words like 'ecco', for example, somewhat confuse me- would 'ecco' be pronunced as the Esperanto 'eko'? What about 'oggi'? Would it be prounounced 'o-ji' or 'o-gi'?

I have competed the two first lessons of the Italian Now book- they basically teach you basic greetings, both formal and informal, and simple questions such as "Dove va?".

I would be very appreciatiave of anyone who could point me towards any free internet Italian courses or resources which would allow me to interact with live teachers, as I am not sure I will be able to grasp the basics without help from an experienced speaker.

In any case, all I can do is begin. Nowehere to go but up.

Benjamin
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6279 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
15 July 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Doubled consonants in Italian are pronounced as part of both the preceding and following syllable. If there were a word 'eco', it would be pronounced like the Esperanto 'eko'; 'ecco' is more like "ek-ko". Oggi is like "oj-ji"; the Italian 'g' sounds like the English j (not the Esperanto one!) if it's followed by an e or i.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version