United Kingdom
last.fm/user/agraham
Joined 6507 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 1 of 5
16 July 2007 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Ok so the date is Monday 16th July and today will be the day that I start learning Swedish properly.

I touched on this language before now but with work and school stress I kind of forgot about it. I have a free summer however with not much to do so may as well make the most of my time and do something constructive. Nothing much more constructive than learning a third language :-)

For the mean time I am going to start with the 'Teach Yourself Swedish' course. I aim to work through it and hopefully get two or three units complete each week. Two huors a day should be enough for this I think. I reckon you could probably do a unit a day but I want to repeat each unit at least twice so I know I understand it completely. I also have two 'Nybörjarsvenska' books which I'll be using alongside the 'Teach Yourself' course. These books are designed for learners of Swedish and are written entirely in Swedish so I think they will be a great help.

My reasons for learning Swedish are basically that I'm in love with the country itself. First and foremost, I was there on holiday last week and it really saddened me that I could not talk to my friends in their native language. I could tell that some of them had problems having to talk English all the time so I hope to have advanced a bit by the next time I see them. That way I won't feel as embarrassed plus I guess it's only polite to converse with people in their native tongue whilst in their country.
I also have a real passion for Swedish music and a lot of the artists I enjoy listening to sing in Swedish. So I think it would be nice to know what they are actually singing about and I could also sing along with the songs rather than just mumble some sounds together that sound pretty similar to the lyrics ^__^

I hope I'll pick it up rather quickly and with ease. I would say I'm already an intermediate in German and I've noticed a lot of similarities between the two languages. Perhaps not grammatically wise but vocabulary wise. Vocabulary learning was always one of my weak spots so I hope that my knowledge of German will help me with my Swedish studies.

Will try and write a journal entry regularly about my progress etc... Hopefully some Swedes will be on hand if I struggle to understand some grammatical concepts and things.

So that's that. Enough babble from me. Time to get studying!

Hej då for now!
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6749 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
16 July 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I don't know if you're familiar with the FSI method - anyway, the basic course in Swedish is free:
http://www.fsi-language-courses.com/Swedish.aspx

I think Assimil has a Swedish course but it may use French as the teaching language (perhaps there is a German version, if your German is good enough).

fredrik_w
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6184 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
16 July 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
I like Pimsleur very much and maybe you know there is a Swedish course available. However, they only offer a limited 10 lessons course called Compact. Here you can listen to the first lesson:

http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=13&pid=514978& agid=51

Sidewinder
United Kingdom
last.fm/user/agraham
Joined 6507 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 4 of 5
17 July 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Did Unit 1 last night. It went ok I guess. Picked it up quite easily.

I like the fact that swedish verbs aren't all that difficult to conjugate unlike the nasty German verbs.

So yeah, covered the basic stuff like 'my name is such and such' and all that. I also tried some of the FSI Swedish course. I didn't do any of the units but I did the pronounciation exercises which were really great actually I thought. It was really in depth and not at all what I expected. I think I will definitely be doing some more lessons from that course too.

Off to a good start anyway I hope and I'm going to go over Unit 1 again tonight and either make a start on Unit 2 or start the first lesson of the FSI course.

Sidewinder
United Kingdom
last.fm/user/agraham
Joined 6507 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes

Message 5 of 5
13 August 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so after a rather extended absence from my language learning I feel it's time to get back on track again. I'm thankfully feeling better and not working as much so lots of nice free time to study study study.

My Swedish Linguaphone course arrived over a week ago and I'm only getting to try it out now. So far I've done the introduction unit and the first lesson. Not overly difficult stuff I don't think. Will try and do lesson 2 and 3 done later on tonight.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version