demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 1 of 8
17 July 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
As I posted here, I am beginning to study Hungarian in preparation for a month long stay in Budapest. Since I am currently deeply immersed in Russian, my goals for Hungarian are very modest. I'm going for a basic, survival introduction to the language, so I won't be forced to interact only in English during my stay.

I'm going to attempt to work through the first 2 - 3 sections of the FSI course. If I get that far before my trip, I'll be happy. If I complete those three and have time for a bit more, I'll be ecstatic.

Edited by demoiselle on 17 July 2007 at 12:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 2 of 8
17 July 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
DAY 1

Listened to the first lesson of the FSI course four times. The first time, I mostly listened, did not look at the text, and attempted to imitate the sounds of words. The second time, I listened and read the Hungarian text simultaneously. The third time, I repeated text as much as I could, while glancing from the Hungarian text to the English. Rinse and repeat for the fourth time.

I think that my background in Russian will help with pronouncing Hungarian. Although there are sounds I am not at all familiar with, it seems to me that there is a round quality to the vowels which is closer to Russian than English.

But I'm no linguist.

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 3 of 8
18 July 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
DAY 2

Repeated tape one lesson one twice more, repeating after the tape. I am starting to recognize some words. Very difficult to keep up with the pace of the program, and to retain the words.

I remember now how hard beginning Russian was.

I'm not sure what the best, most systematic approach to using FSI is. Should I go through the tapes listening and repeating a few times, then copying out the vocabulary, flash-cards, and so forth?

I think it's good I set a modest goal of only 3 units.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 8
18 July 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I follow the dialogues with the text opened. I repeat in the pauses after the speaker, and then when the dialogue is played at normal speed, I just read along.

When I do the drills, I cover the right side of the page, and do the drills on cue from the tape and also take printed hints from the cues on the right side.

If you find it helpful to copy out vocabulary or make flash cards for extra practice, then why not?

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 5 of 8
18 July 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
DAY 2 CONT

Worked through Unit 1 Tape 2 once. The drills help quite a bit.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 8
18 July 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
One thing that I forgot to mention. Don't use "maga" (sing.) or "maguk" (pl.) as the polite form of "you" as FSI teaches it.

During Communism, they were somewhat common but using "maga" etc. as a polite form of "you" isn't that polite. "Maga" etc. reinforce the idea of social distance between you and the listener(s), but are a little cold and don't imply much respect to the listener(s).

It's much more polite to use "ön" (sing.) or "önök" (plural). These not only reinforce the idea of unfamiliarity or some social distance, but have an undertone of respect for the listener(s).

maga and ön take on the 3rd person singular.
maguk and önök take on the 3rd person plural.

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 7 of 8
18 July 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
One thing that I forgot to mention. Don't use "maga" (sing.) or "maguk" (pl.) as the polite form of "you" as FSI teaches it.

During Communism, they were somewhat common but using "maga" etc. as a polite form of "you" isn't that polite. "Maga" etc. reinforce the idea of social distance between you and the listener(s), but are a little cold and don't imply much respect to the listener(s).

It's much more polite to use "ön" (sing.) or "önök" (plural). These not only reinforce the idea of unfamiliarity or some social distance, but have an undertone of respect for the listener(s).

maga and ön take on the 3rd person singular.
maguk and önök take on the 3rd person plural.

Thank you. That is a very important point!

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6197 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 8 of 8
04 August 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
DAY ??

Hungarian has had to go to the sidelines, since the last three weeks in my Russian immersion program have been incredibly intensive. I've just started my exit exams, and have had to readjust my Hungarian goals. I will have a week or two to work on survival Hungarian before I fly to Budapest. I very much doubt I will attain much skill at all. Perhaps while I'm in country ...

Well, language learning is an ongoing battle, isn't it?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version