Diglot
Canada
Joined 6207 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: Turkish

Message 1 of 2
20 July 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Hi, I thought this is a good way to keep record of my studies in Turkish and Arabic, Right now I’m taking organic chemistry at university so I usually find it hard to free up time and study both languages.

I am currently on lesson 21 of pimsleur Turkish and lesson 9 of FSI, and I occasionally use Elementary Turkish by Kurtuluş Öztopçu Complete Course for Beginners.

My goal in Arabic is to reach reading proficiency in classical texts. I am of Arabic origin so I am familiar with the colloquial speech, for that reason I have been studying modern standard Arabic the past 2 years.

In the past month and a half of learning Turkish, I have seen similarities in the vocabulary used in colloquial Arabic and Turkish. Other than that learning Turkish has been a fun challenge :).

I hope to write on here 2-3 times a week, and that it provides benefit to others in the process of learning a language.

1 person has voted this message useful

Mustafa
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6207 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: Turkish

Message 2 of 2
26 July 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Well, since my last entry I am up to pimsleur Turkish 24, and found them to be pretty easy since a lot of the material overlapped with what I learnt from FSI. I did not have time to do more studying due to the heavy workload of my chemistry course. It seems pretty hard to try to memorize vocabulary items while you are trying to memorize reactions in chemistry. Never the less, my goal for the next two weeks is to finish chapter 10 of FSI and pimsleur. That way I will have about a month of free time to finish FSI volume 1 and try to start volume 2 before school starts again. In addition I will try to read more Arabic texts Inshallah(god willing).
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version