wilghal
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
26 July 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
I started learning Polish about a week ago and I'm excited to be off to a solid start. After having bought BF's "How to Learn Any Language" a few years ago, I'm going to try to put his advice to use on a brand new language.

I'm starting with Oscar Swan's "First Year Polish" and Pimsleur. I really like "First Year Polish" and so far it overlaps with Pimsleur enough to be satisfying but not too much to seem overly repetitive. I carry my homemade flash cards around with me and in a few weeks, when I get the hang of doing this on my own, I'll try and add authentic written material, most likely from an online Polish news site.

FYI: I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate who has found himself with too much free time between 5:30 and midnight. Polish seems to be the perfect cure!

Edited by wilghal on 26 July 2007 at 1:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 8
26 July 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I take it that you're using the free, online version of Swan's course, right?

wilghal
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 3 of 8
26 July 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Yep.

So far I really like it. I can't believe how many words and how much basic grammar I already know. It's also nice to be able to click on what you're reading and hear it spoken (by a man and a woman!).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 4 of 8
26 July 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
The only downside is that the audio and videos aren't available after chapter 6. I sent a message to Prof. Swan about a year ago asking when those lessons would be updated, and he replied that he'd hoped to have them running by the end of the academic year (i.e. June 2006). Unfortunately, he still hasn't got around to it...

wilghal
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 5 of 8
26 July 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I noticed that while clicking around the PDF. Seeing as how I only bought Basic Polish (the $20, 10 lesson version of Pimsleur), I will soon run out of listening material.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for Polish audio/listening? I've seen a lot of disagreement about Comprehensive Pimsleur (price, slim vocabulary), but not much about Polish..

(And: I'm assuming almost anything goes in a logbook post, but I'm not sure if a question like that wouldn't be more appropriate in a learning materials thread...)

Edited by wilghal on 26 July 2007 at 3:04pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6279 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 8
26 July 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
There are quite a lot of audiobooks in Polish; I've found "The Master and Margarita" to be fairly good. I know LOTR and Harry Potter both exist as well. Check out the listening-reading thread.

If you're looking for a course, Assimil has one for Polish, though it's not available for English speakers. If your French is getting to be decent, that might be an option though - I see your profile lists it as intermediate. I haven't tried this course; I don't know how good it is, though I've found most Assimil courses for modern natural languages that I've seen decent.

I personally like diving into native materials early on, and listening to online radio stations. This is -not- effective for picking up much if you're still a beginner; you may or may not find it fun. Googling for Polish radio turns up quite a lot.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 7 of 8
26 July 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
If you can get a hold of cheap, second-hand copies of Alexander Schenker's "Beginning Polish" textbook and workbook, try this link for free copies of the audio (in MP3) to those books' drills and sentences.

This link may have all of the audio (in MP3) of the first edition (1983) of First-Year Polish by Prof. Swan.

I'm only guessing on this one since it only refers to the title, "First-Year Polish". No mention of the author.

Apart from that, Volte's suggestions are worth trying too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

wilghal
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 8 of 8
26 July 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version