United States
Joined 6172 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French, Hindi
Studies: Gujarati

Message 1 of 2
02 August 2007 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
When I went back to review my Hindi texts this summer, I realized that I was struggling with reading because my vocabulary was so paltry.

To counteract that, I've begun drilling myself daily on vocabulary using Supermemo. So far I've culled all the words I don't know from chapters 1-4 of Rupert Snell's Teach Yourself Hindi, which was the text we used in my formal Hindi classes in college. (I'm simultaneously reviewing grammar using that text). I've also pulled some words off Unilang's vocabulary pages, and then I have a whole sheaf of short stories from my classes that I'd like to glean vocab from.

I intend to begin adding in unfamiliar words from Usha Jain's Introduction to Hindi Grammar so that I can work through that grammar-wise without having to look up unfamiliar words. I also would like to use some of the topical lists hiding in the Hindi books I've acquired from various Indian grocery stores over the years.

I find this method of vocabulary review to be amenable to pronunciation practice as well. After having sampled Pimsleur and FSI courses, I figured out that the quickest way to correct pronunciation for me is to go syllable-by-syllable from the end of the word, and I am training myself to pronounce the word aloud before I answer in Supermemo.

1 person has voted this message useful

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6295 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 2 of 2
08 August 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Keep going. If you like to practice urdu/hindhi, we can have a conversation on the phone. I have this vonage facility at home that i use it to call to my bro in usa from Pakistan.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version