Simba
United Kingdom
Joined 6166 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 2
02 August 2007 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
My boyfriend has been asking me to learn Japanese with him, so I decided to go for it. I started learning on Sunday, 29th July 2007. I will keep this log up to date with my day-to-day Japanese adventures!

I have quite a lot of material to learn from, including 'Japanese for Busy People', the 'Pimsleur' course, 'Japanesepod101.com', and Heisig's 'Remembering the Kanji'. Also, I'm quite a big anime fan, so have a lot of material there to keep me busy listening-wise.

And so, my log:

29th July 2007:

Just started learning today, using a booklet a friend gave to me to learn hiragana and katakana. I have memory problems, so this is going to be a bit tricky. I learnt the first ten hiragana, but a couple don't come to me instantly.

30th July 2007:

Learnt the hiragana up to 'to', though some don't come to me instantly. Started exposing myself to hiragana in sentences to allow me to experience them all.

31st July 2007:

Worked a bit harder today, made flash-cards for all the hiragana, and finally managed to learn them all. I do forget some occasionally though.

1st August 2007:

Had a go at learning some basic sentence forms today. I learnt how to use three particles - 'wa', 'ka', and 'no'. Watashi wa Kurisu desu :) ! I learnt quite a few words too. However, today I found out via www.alljapaneseallthetime.com that I'd perhaps be best learning the kanji first. So, I'm going to make a start on learning those in the morning with Heisig's book.

2nd August 2007:

Learnt the first 80 kanji today. No problems so far, Heisig's book is great.

3rd August 2007:

Up to 194 kanji now. My goal is to finish RTK by the time my boyfriend comes to stay (19th August).

4th August 2007:

300 kanji learnt :) ! 125-130 kanji per day until my boyfriend comes will get me through RTK by then. I really recommend it; great book!

Edited by Simba on 04 August 2007 at 8:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Simba
United Kingdom
Joined 6166 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 2
05 August 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
New post for a new week :) ...

5th August 2007:

Slacked a bit today, goofed off playing games for a good while. Up to 395 kanji. Steadily getting there :) ...
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version