Diglot
Joined 7028 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 1 of 2
02 August 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Hello all
I've finally decided that if I want to improve my aural comprehension and build my vocabulary, audiobooks are going to be the way to go. So, I found the audiobook "Убийство в восточном экспрессе" at my library, the entire Russian text on litportal.ru, and I bought an English copy of the book, "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie. I intend to read the respective English chapter first, and then read/listen to the Russian audiobook. The audiobook is split into sections of about 10 minutes each, and I intend on repeating each section until I am comfortable with the text, and perhaps eventually able to shadow it. I do hope this will result in my first major advancement in my Russian studies in a long time. As of recently (in the past year) my progression seems to have stagnated. Perhaps a different method was just needed.

I do have one question for now though: should I bother making an actual effort to learn some of the vocabulary presented by writing it down and studying it, or should would a more natural and passive way be better?

EDIT: Typos

Edited by Darobat on 02 August 2007 at 3:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6780 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 2
02 August 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Darobat wrote:

I do have one question for now though: should I bother making an actual effort to learn some of the vocabulary presented by writing it down and studying it, or would a more natural and passive way be better?

It would be better to study some of the vocabulary, if it is not too much of an effort, of course.

I've used a natural and passive way many times with English, you know, watching movies and listening to audiobooks; but this method doesn't build up your vocabulary dramatically, unless you try to focus on the new words and expressions.
By writing them down and studying them, you will improve your Russian in no time. That process is obviously a little bit more tedious, but you'll be rewarded at the end, having learned much more than expected.

I like your strategy of using a literary work written in your target language, its audiobook, and a translation together. I'm doing the same with English right now (I purchased a novel by Stephen King).

Good work then... and enjoy yourself.

Edited by Luigi on 02 August 2007 at 3:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version