Groupie
United States
Joined 6377 days ago

93 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
03 August 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
As soon as I got on the plane to leave Italy, I was already planning my next trip back there. The country surprised me: I had always thought that I would enjoy France more, but there's just something about Italy. Since then, I've been taking Italian very seriously. For this first log entry, I'll lay out my plan for studying la bella lingua.

Pimsleur: I borrowed levels 1 through 3 from the library and am now going through them one lesson a day as the program prescribes. I am currently on level 1, lesson 7. I'm finding Pimsleur much more enjoyable this time around than when I did the first level of French. (45 hours)

Michel Thomas: I've got the beginner set, which I got about halfway through before going to Italy. I plan to start it over again on Monday. I would like to do the advanced as well (not so sure about the vocabulary builder). (15 cds, ~12 hours)

Italian Now: This workbook is great fun, and it reinforces concepts I've already learned.

Learn Italian Pod: I love going through these podcasts, especially since I seem to remember the material that I've learned. I'm currently on beginner lesson 23. (~25 hours)

Passive Materials: I've been checking out programing on RAI, and I've also got the Italian subtitles from my favorite television show.

The entire plan consists of approximately 82 hours of active audio material. Hopefully I will have completed about 100 hours of work (when I count workbook material and active reading) by the time I complete the Pimsleur audio. I believe this will put me at an Intermediate level. Once I get to that level, I will need to formulate a new plan.
1 person has voted this message useful

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6258 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 2
03 August 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
good luck, i went to florence a couple of years ago and loved it, seriously considering it as my next language of choice.

anyway, sounds like you have a lot of useful materials, so you should be able to learn this language with ease, as learning languages goes, now you have the proper motivation.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version