Joined 6617 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 2
04 August 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
I signed up for an account at LingQ today and found that it has Japanese as one of the choices of languages to learn.

There appear to be 9 Japanese items available.

I am enjoying using the system.

It somehow counts the number of words in each item. I think for Japanese, this may be inaccurate at the moment. I'm sure they will be fixing it though. I did two items and the system states a total of 89 words, however I added 107 to my vocabulary box, and there were a few more I could have added. Well, Japanese is a difficult language to parse for words, so I'm not complaining. Although, it ought to be able to show a list of the words that it has counted. Perhaps it didn't count prefecture names or people names. In my case, I didn't add katakana words.

I would be interested in recording some original conversational content for the system. Aside from recruiting participants, I think transcribing the conversations would be time consuming.

I think I will import some news texts for my own use so I can quickly learn to read the news without problems. News is so redundant, I should be able to learn the necessary vocabulary quite quickly with LingQ.

I'm looking forward to using LingQ more. I will be able to eventually get an accurate count on how many words I know in Japanese.

I find the built-in dictionary function works quite well for Japanese. It will even pull up the word from a Chinese dictionary if it exists and shows the pinyin. It does the same for Korean too. It lists all found entries from multiple dictionaries. Interesting!

1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6617 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 2
11 August 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I think I will import some news texts for my own use...

I have imported 4 news articles into LingQ now. For the last one that I imported, the system counts 29 (unique) words. From that article alone, I added 35 words to my vocabulary list, and 17 of those are new to me.

I now have 24 tag categories. I am tagging the words to categorize them. Most of the words are nouns or verbs.

I wish there was an easy way to select the tag I want to use instead of having to type it each time. After typing in the tag, I have to click the add button. It would be easier if I only needed to hit the enter or return key on my keyboard.

For the 'hint' I am usually putting in the hiragana reading and the definition. I usually don't use the 'phrase' field. I wish I could just click a link or button to make the definition from the dictionary entry jump into my 'hint' field.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version