United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5490 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 7
06 April 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I've recently started using a Firefox add-on called BabelFish Instant Translation to help me translate new words in a language I'm learning or maintaining whilst surfing the Net.

I tried out at least half a dozen add-ons first before settling on this one, including Easy Google Translate, which had a more stylish translation box and promising audio feature, but unfortunately required the user to select a word and click CTRL twice (and for me, the less clicks the better).

So far, the extension offered by Babelfish seems to be the most customisable and effective, enabling me, amongst other things, to hover over words and set the delay for the translation. However I've only recently started looking and am conscious that there may be even better alternatives out there somewhere in cyberspace... :)

What browser add-ons or translation software do you use online and would thoroughly recommend for hovering over words to translate?

Edited by Teango on 06 April 2011 at 4:08pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
06 April 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
What browser add-ons or translation software do you use online and would thoroughly recommend for hovering over words to translate?

I use Firefox with "Google Dictionary and Google Translate 2.3" add-on, and Globefish add-on. Both work instantly with a double click. Google has a pop-up window with single word translation. I also use AutoCopy so whatever I highlight gets copied to the clipboard. Globefish provides either single word or multiple words/sentences translation via Google Translate. It is great.

2 persons have voted this message useful

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5004 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 7
06 April 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Excellent find. I'll have to switch internet browsers, but I'm going to give it a try.
1 person has voted this message useful

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5004 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 

Message 4 of 7
06 April 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I've gotta say, it almost feels like cheating. I must be a bit lazy, because I would sometimes even be put off reading because it was a hassle to copy and paste from one screen into an online dictionary in a separate screen. This will vastly increase my reading speed, but there is always the danger of becoming dependent on the translations.

Anyone have any thoughts on the dangers of over-reliance on such tools?

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5061 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*

Message 5 of 7
03 May 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Language specific, but rikaichan (Japanese), Perapera-kun (Mandarin/Chinese), and Cantofish (Cantonese).

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5752 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 6 of 7
03 May 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Chrome with Bubble Translate and Google Dictionary.

Google dictionary is double-click. Quick but far from always perfect.

Bubble is click and highlight but very good for tricky sentences.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 7 of 7
26 September 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
For Chrome, the "TransOver" extension seems good.

By default, it translates a single word a short time after you hover over it, but you
can also highlight a whole group of words, hover over any part of the highlight, and it
translates the group.

You can optionally make it translate on click, rather than hover, and you can adjust
the time delay (default 700ms).

There is also a TTS option, and several other options.

NB you must tell it what language to translate into. This is done in the options (click
on top right -> tools -> extensions and look for TransOver.)

(In the latest Chrome, the thing at the top-right is no longer a spanner|wrench. It
looks a bit like a ventillator!).

Somewhat different, and something I've seen mentioned a few times already on the Forum
is "Franker", available for Chrome and Safari. (Don't know if it's available for
anything else).

It may seem strange me recommending something for Chrome, given what I've said about it
mangling posted URLS in HTLAL.

However....

1. I'm personally resigned to having to use different browsers for different purposes,
depending on their strengths and weaknesses.

2. On the URL mangling issue, I'm inclined to think that the fault lies more with our
ageing Forum software than with Chrome.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version