Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5325 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 1 of 6
18 May 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
So one of my biggest time sucks from language learning and life in general is the
internet. I've tried browsing only in French before but it's just so hard knowing the
great content that's out there contained within pretty, stylistically modern web sites.
A great example would be this forum. I wanted to start this thread as a depository for
any links to websites that challenge or even exceed their English counterparts in
quality of content and, if possible, style/interface (it's just nice to feel like one
hasn't gone back in time to the internet of the early 2000s or even the 1990s when
browsing). It should be a website you'd freely choose over an English version on merit
alone, or one you'd have no regrets using as a replacement. If there ends up being a
good collection I'd be happy to curate.

Official news sites, Wikepedia in other languages, etc are obvious choices. But to
start off with, any suggestions for top language learning forums and blogs not in
English?

Here's a suggestion if you're in France On Va
Sortir
over Meetup:
The site design leaves much to be desired but what I like is that you don't have to
join groups so browsing and signing up for events are much easier. And it's easier to
discover things you would have never thought of. Your French should be pretty strong
though, as it's rare that you'll find other foreigners so if you still need a good
amount of practice to get conversational you may want to create a conversation exchange
event (or attend Polyglot Club or Couchsurfing events).
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4793 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 2 of 6
18 May 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I hope it's not illegal to promote other forums here ;) But there are: Russian lingvoforum and Polish jezykotw (conlanger).

eggcluck
China
Joined 4635 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
18 May 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Chinese news

Chinese you tube

Chinese face book

Chinese BBC

Chinese MSN

Chinese google

Chinese Ebay/Amazon

Chinese streaming

Edited by eggcluck on 18 May 2012 at 6:52pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5325 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 4 of 6
14 July 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
A French site with major addictive potential: Topito
It's made up of a bunch of articles in the format of Top 10 (or more) lists. Tons of geek
culture, memes, pop culture, news, life tips, even lists on language use. Think Cracked
in French.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4637 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 5 of 6
14 July 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Dutch TV - Uitzending Gemist

A well-designed website with scads and scads of current television programs for free.
There is only one ad for each episode, and it's at the beginning. Many programs also have
subtitles. Would that Hulu were this good!

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4706 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 6 of 6
15 July 2012 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Russian Facebook

Russian YouTube

Russian Google

Russian Amazon

Russian WSJ/FT

Russian Encyclopædia Dramatica (that has the advantage of, you know, still existing)

Japanese Facebook (this one requires a valid Japanese mobile phone number to register, although I've heard of people bypassing that requirement by registering with a university email)

Japanese YouTube (the major differences are that you can't watch anything without an account and that viewers' comments are scrolled on the screen at certain moments, giving it a livestream-like feel)

Japanese BBC

Japanese WSJ/FT

Japanese DeviantArt

Japanese 4chan (well, technically this one's the original)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version