Jt00
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, French

Message 1 of 2
22 July 2012 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
I have found some of the Defense Language Institute's old Russian course from 1971, which is now public
domain, online at https://sites.google.com/site/soyouwanttolearnalanguage/lang uagee-books4. However, the
website only has volumes 7-13, 16-18, 28, and 30. Does anyone know where I can find the missing volumes?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5196 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 2
22 July 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Try here DLI Russian. For the whole list of courses go here: DLI Basic Courses. There are 33 languages represented on the site. Some of the courses are quite thorough and some serve more as glorified phrasebooks. Some courses have a significant amount of military terminology others have virtually none. All the courses are free and legal to download. I can only speak for the Portuguese course, but I liked the fact that it had very little English and a lot of drills.

DLI is a really good and thorough resource, and it's free. Most of the courses have a lot of mp3 audio available with tons of drills. Some people find it "boring". I find it effective. For me, the best way to utilize the courses is to load the pdf's and audio on a tablet. Many of the pdf's are not the best quality and may need cleaning with pdf ocr software. I use Adobe 10 to clean mine up.

The Defense Language Institute has an on-line, multimedia resource for language exercises called Global Language Online Support System- GLOSS. The site supports 37 languages and dialects of languages ranging from Azerbaijani to Uzbek and, of course, most of the the biggies are represented as well.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 July 2012 at 5:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version