Groupie
Ireland
Joined 4465 days ago

52 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Irish

Message 1 of 7
10 August 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
First off, this is just an idea. And if there already is something like this on the site that I've missed, then I'll close
this thread.
There are a few websites that set you up with native speakers of your TL, and you do a 50:50 language exchange,
where you speak their TL (your native language) for a while, then vice-versa. I've tried a few of these, and found
that either you have to pay, or they aren't very reliable.
Do you think we could set up a similar system through HTLAL, where people give their Skype name, TL, native
language, and then set up language exchanges?

Once again, if there's already something like this that I've missed, let me know.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4762 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 7
10 August 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
It's a reasonable question, although there is a thread somewhere that deals with this.

I'm not being funny, but check out the forum search facility, as it will be as quick
(or quicker) for you to find it that way, as for me to find it, as I can't remember
where it is.

Having said that, I'd got the impression that people weren't often finding Skype
partners all that readily via the thread in question, or if they were, it wasn't being
made public. Not that I want to put you off.

You might use that thread (when you find it), or you could just ask in this general
discussion area.

Edited by montmorency on 10 August 2012 at 10:18pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6837 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 7
10 August 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Being the proud author of the foregoing thread ;), I've managed to locate it pretty
easily:

http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=6249 (remember to
remove the additional space between 'a' and 's')

I'm actually looking for Skype partners myself, offering native Polish and advanced
German in exchange for Spanish, French, Dutch or native-like English.
Just talking in EN/DE/FR (no ulterior learning motives ;)) would also be nice.

Edited by Julie on 10 August 2012 at 10:33pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
10 August 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
There have been these threads http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=16000&PN=0&TPN=1 http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6249&PN=1 and there's a tandem search function.

Very few of the members here need practice in English though. Best write about yourself and your interests in the multilingual lounge and get acquainted with natives on facebook and/or twitter. It might be a good idea to converse in writing first, as there's time to think about WHAT to say and HOW to say it, while during a live conversation you sorta have to choose, resulting in incorrect impressions of your level or personality.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4943 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 7
11 August 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
tandem search has two flaws 1.it is for paying members only (even though it would be
nearly worth paying, had it worked properly) 2.it doesn't make difference between active
and long gone members

i'm going away for two weeks now, but after that, i would love to continue my search for
skype languge exchange partners. so if anyone with my target as native or high level
language would like to practice their Czech, i'll be excited to participate :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
11 August 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Aw, I didn't realize you have to pay to see the usernames. You can find the people via G-search though. And the most recent/most active members option is available without paying.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5781 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
12 August 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
There are other threads on Skype tandem exchange in the Internet Resources Subforum, so I will move thread into this subforum.

Fasulye

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version