tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
28 August 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
The small, inexpensive Arduino microprocessor has become a huge hit for electronics hobbyists.

http://www.arduino.cc/

Arduino now has a language learning capability. With a small, inexpensive add-on board, you can capture closed captions from video signals, including live TV.

http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/03/20/decoding-cl osed-captioning/

The Arduino comes assembled. The video board is a kit and requires a small amount of soldering. The software is free. I have the system up and running, capturing closed captions from English and French TV to text files. The reason that I find it important to use text file captions is lack of synchronisation. Closed captions in North America are usually very accurate, but usually badly synced. They are usually far to late to be effectively used for language learning. Thus: record the video/audio and text files.

The only problem I have encountered is lack of accented letters, which are not displayed. I have tried a number of "fixes" and so far have been unsuccessful. So French words are missing their accented letters. Otherwise, the North American captions are very reliable and very accurate, usually verbatim. The system works with both North American NTSC and European/other PAL. I think it should also work with DVD movies but I haven't tried it yet.

If anyone can help with the accented letters (UTF-8), I'd appreciate it.

Arduinos and video boards are readily available. Here is a good source:

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/productinfo.aspx?pc=RB-Noo-02&la ng=en-US

Try it. It works very well.

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4950 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 7
28 August 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Is it possible to compare the words with words from a built in dictionary and restore the accented characters. Sort of like spellcheck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 3 of 7
28 August 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Is it possible to compare the words with words from a built in dictionary and restore the accented characters. Sort of like spellcheck.

I think so. I considered doing that. It most probably will work for most words. I would really like to get the software to do it correctly in the first place, and I hope that is going to be possible. But if not, I'll try your suggestion which will certainly fix many words. Thanks.

tommus
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 4 of 7
30 August 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
I would really like to get the software to do it correctly in the first place, and I hope that is going to be possible. .

It was possible! I learned a lot about TV closed captions and Arduinos. But it was not about UTF-8. It was a bit about ISO 8859-1 but mostly about the TV closed captioning EIA-608 encoding and how it works. I basically read the output from the Arduino into Java and did the decoding there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608

So now I have all the French accented letters. Now Canadian French-language TV is going to be a lot more useful for improving my French.

If anyone decides to go this route with an Arduino and a Video Experimenter Shield, it will work for English. If you want it for French, I can help you with the Arduino and Java software.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4637 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 5 of 7
30 August 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Wow. Your tech savvy and pure dedication are astonishing.

...Yup, this post isn't very constructive, but I just couldn't let this topic slip by without expressing my
admiration. :-)

tommus
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 6 of 7
30 August 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Hekje. Two of my many passions besides language learning are computer programming and amateur radio/electronics. So I try to combine the interests.

These closed captions will be great for my French-Canadian French from the TV. But what I'd really like to be able to do is download ondertitels from the many excellent videos on uitzendinggemist.nl. I actually can capture them on my computer but it is takes a lot of effort each time. I have been searching for solutions/software that simply saves them to a file, something like you can do with You Tube closed captions. The best Dutch language CCs on You Tube are on Rijnmond Nieuws, but not all the episodes have CCs. But you can easily download them to a file.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4637 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 7 of 7
31 August 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Sure, sure. And yes, I've often thought it would be terrific if it were possible to download transcripts of the subtitles
on Uitzending Gemist. That's a gold mine of colloquialisms right there.

I actually didn't know about Rijnmond Nieuws, so I'll be sure to check it out.

Pretty terrific work.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version