tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 1
01 September 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I'm convinced that closed captions (CC) in text files are far superior to CC on the video screen. In a related thread, I described how to capture TV closed captions using an Arguino microprocessor: Arduino CC

During that project, I discovered what is probably a better alternative. It requires a bit of hardware and a bit of software.

1. You need a TV video capture board or USB device to get the TV signal into your computer. I use a very tiny Diamond Multimedia USB receiver. Diamond

2. You need a PC with Windows Media Center to record the video to a .wtv file. It comes with Windows 7 and other Windows systems.

3. You need a video editor/converter to convert the .wtv file to a .ts file. I use VideoRedo It is a commercial product. It has a free trial version to try it.

4. You need CCExtractor to extract the CCs from the .ts file and save them in a plain text file. It is free. CCExtractor

That's it. This process works extremely well with English and French TV, and should work well with Latin-accented letters. It is flawlessly with French accents.

This does a better job with French than the Arduino solution and uses easy, off-the-shelf products. So you can capture your CCs to text files, use an electronic dictionary on any unknown words, and then read along with the audio/video.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version