Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
Pahife
United States
Joined 4401 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
04 September 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Hi guys, I have started an organization called PHAIFE, which stands for: Polyglots
Against Hunger Institute For Education. Our mission is to help the hungry via language
videos. If people like our videos, they can donate. I feel like this is a way for me to
show my love of languages, do something with my time (my high school is very boring),
and help others. I have made one video which has a few errors. I would like you guys to
look and see if I have some kind of potential. If so, I will gladly redo the video.
Here is the link. TI starts with Spanish basics: personal pronouns, infinitives, etc.
Tell me what you think!

-PAHIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxSFHjrUsbs

Edited by Pahife on 04 September 2012 at 1:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5359 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 6
04 September 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I understand.

The point is to make language videos and have the viewers of these videos donate to
your organization?

Couple of thoughts/questions to help you on your way

-The first thing that strikes me is that combining languages and hunger is a rather odd
concept. Maybe that can work in your favor, but as it is, it just seems almost
needlessly random.

-One of the reasons you are using language videos for this, and not simply demanding
people's money, is to facilitate the idea of an exchange (I give you language videos,
you donate). You need to ask yourself why someone would value your videos enough to
donate. If there are thousands and thousands of hours of YouTube videos out there
explaining basic language concepts, why should someone treat yours any differently by
giving your organization money after watching it? Where is the pull?

-Lots of charities or nonprofit organizations have a 'hook' which helps to connect the
person donating to the task they are donating for. The lack of any of that here just
reinforces the randomness of the thing. So I watch a 10 minute video about Spanish
verbs, and I all of a sudden am donating to help relieve hunger in Indonesia? Where is
the connection between the language and the hunger? And more importantly, where is the
connection between myself the donor, and the hunger to be relieved? As it stands, it's
zero.

-What will you do with the money you get? Are you simply donating it to another
charity? To a specific initiative? To several? Who decides where the money goes? What
is the geographic spread? If it's a new initiative of some sort, is it sustainable?

-Relieving hunger sounds good, but depending on the method can do more harm than good
in the long run. So you should tell people how you plan on relieving hunger. Are we
talking about emergency humanitarian relief? Long-term food security initiatives?
Sustainable agriculture? Food for work, food for school-type programs?

-Are you registered as a charity or nonprofit? How will financial transactions take
place (not with a personal bank account, I assume)?

There are a couple more nitpicky questions/comments that can be raised, but I think
those are the most important ones you should try to answer/explain if you already have
an answer, and work through.

As for the video itself, perhaps some work on the 'rr' pronunciation of correr in your
example would be good. I also don't see why you keep saying and writing 'Y'all' instead
of just 'you' and indicating that it is plural. I don't really understand why so much
time needs to go into reviewing pronouns personally. So yeah, there you go! Hope this
is useful.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 6
04 September 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Anything to combat hunger is good. Thanks Pahife.

manodesi524
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 4 of 6
05 September 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Lueree, that was a GREAT post. It inspires me to change my game plan. I will start on the
next video ASAP and post it here as soon as I'm done. Thanks everyone for the 5 or 6
views! (Not sarcastic). I feel terrible writing just this after you've written so much
about PAHIFE. Thanks again!

I am from the south. That explains the y'alls. It's too awkward to say you all for me.
Thanks!!!

manodesi524
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 5 of 6
05 September 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Just to keep everyone posted, here is a blog that I've started detailing PAHIFE's doings.
check it out if you have time!

http://pahifenews.blogspot.com/

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 6
05 September 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
You lost me - we're dealing with 1 person and 2 user IDs?

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version