Diglot
Canada
Joined 7067 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 17 of 18
07 March 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
I'm just doing Thai -> Thai. Am I missing out on something?

If you are progressing well, then keep doing what you are doing.

@ Serpent,

What are the Swedish base to learn Finnish?

If it has audio, then I would like to explore this option. If there were Finnish
material to learn Hungarian, Estonian, then it is worth considering.
When I was in Brazil I noticed also the large amount of English base books to learn
languages. I even went to a store, that had Assimil, but all English based. Not even
one Portuguese base. A lot of the books to learn English were in English.

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7002 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 18
07 March 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
When I've been browsing in bookshops in Finland, I haven't seen anything like a series of kits/textbooks for Finns to learn foreign languages that would be a common choice to start learning (e.g. Anglophones often choose between TY, Colloquial, Living Language, Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, Francophones can consider Assimil, Teutonophones can look for stuff issued by PONS).

What does exist though are seemingly one-off courses in addition to regular textbooks for universities which escape the attention of the casual learner, and aformentioned offerings that use English as an intermediary language (I've seen plenty of kits for Colloquial and TY at Akateeminen kirjakauppa).

When it comes to learning Uralic languages as a Finn, here's what I've seen in various bookstores:

Estonian
- Keelesild (with 2 CDs)
- Kohtume Eestis! (with 1 CD)
- Saame tuttavaks! (with 4 CDs)
- Viron kielikurssi, Peruskurrsi (this seems to be the Finnish translation of a course from a Swedish series)

There are more examples here but I emphasize that I'm at least slightly familiar with the previous 4 titles after having browsed them in person.

---

Northern Saami
- Davvin 1, 2, 3, 4 (each volume comes with a CD containing about 45 mins. of audio - the series is a collaborative project with the state radio companies of Norway, Sweden and Finland and what I'm listing is the Finnish edition)
- Gulahalan 1 and 2 (this was published by the Saami Parliament and comes in a Swedish edition too)
- Cealkke dearvvuodaid 1, 2, 3, 4 (each volume comes with a CD containing about an hour of audio)
- Sámás 1 (I'm not sure if this comes in a Norwegian or Swedish edition)

There are more examples here but I emphasize that I'm at least slightly familiar with the aforementioned titles after having browsed them in person.

---

Hungarian

- Unkarin kielioppi
- Lisää unkaria suomalaisille

There are more examples here but I emphasize that I'm at least slightly familiar with the aforementioned titles after having browsed them in person. The strange thing for me is that none of the Hungarian material for Finns that I've seen came with CDs. It could be just my bad luck.

---

Given these choices, I still think that it's best for each learner to figure out which course will be most suitable to start - considering courses on grounds of linguistic "discounting" I think is a bit of a distraction. A good example is in the situation of materials for Hungarian in Finnish even though Finnish and Hungarian have quite a few similarities. The Hungarian courses that I've seen in Finland aren't all that great and focus on learning through a "kindred" language means that something such as Assimil's "Hungarian with Ease/Hongrois sans peine" (if Assimil's method were very suitable for that learner) or "Halló, itt Magyarország!" would be overlooked.

The choice of courses in Northern Saami is restricted though and what's available is in one of Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish. It's more coincidence than anything else that one of the languages in which one can get learning material is similar/genetically related to the target language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version