Triglot
Canada
Joined 4295 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 32
23 January 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Each word and phrase is different so I wouldn't even put some artificial # like 160 as an average. Take a familiar
word "close" in English for instance: it can refer to "shut" such as "shut the door" and distance that is "near". In
French we'd use "fermer" for "shut the door" & "près" for a location that is "near". In Chinese we'd use 关 guān such
as 关门 guānmén for "close the door" and 近 jìn for "near". In English the word "close" can be applied in 2 different
context while in other languages like French or Chinese we use 2 different words.

Words that look alike we tend to need less time such as a doctor and le docteur in French, music and la musique
in French, photographer and photographe in French. Other words or phrases that are completely different would
take longer such as "come to my house" and "chez moi" in French. The same meaning but different context. Place
names such as Shanghai with the same pinyin in Chinese except for the intonation: Shànghǎi and Beijing as
Běijīng.

Don't forget about word associations. Take the Chinese character: 空 kòng (space) for instance you can have 空气
kōngqì (air), 空位 kōngwèi (empty space), 空间 kōngjiān (space). 攀岩 pānyán (rock climbing) you would break into
2 characters: 攀 (to climb) and 岩 (rock / cliff); 烛光 zhúguāng you break it up into 2 characters: 烛 as in 蜡烛 làzhú
for candle and 光 for light so you have candlelight. Some of the words you don't know may contain parts of other
words you already know so makes learning easier.

Edited by shk00design on 23 January 2014 at 12:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5411 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 18 of 32
24 January 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
According to the Goldlist theory, three, with each review taking about a minute.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4516 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 19 of 32
24 January 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
According to the Goldlist theory, three, with each review taking
about a minute.

Cool. So if I take all the suspended words in my Anki deck and spend 3 minutes on each
all my problems will gone :-)

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5079 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 20 of 32
24 January 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I have been doing some research and am curious: how many reviews of vocabulary do you think you would need before it is solidly consolidated in your memory?

It's never permanent; no matter how firmly you think you've got it, you might forget it tomorrow. That's why you use an SRS.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4648 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 21 of 32
25 January 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:

It's never permanent; no matter how firmly you think you've got it, you might forget it
tomorrow. That's why you use an SRS.

Yes and no. The fact is one can forget his/her mother tongue when s/he lives in another
country and has not been using his/her mother tongue any more. But it is possible to
memorize a word in such a way that I remember it for say 2 or 3 year without any
repetition.

The question should be how many repetitions in a SRS are useful? I believe the
repetitions later should be provided not by a memory drill (SRS) but by natural use.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5832 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 22 of 32
25 January 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
SRS is not about drilling but rather the opposite: the goal is to make do with as few repetitions as possible. For example a quit look at my best learned cards (those with intervals of more that 15 years) reveals an average of 7-10 reps. Not all of the words are common, everyday words. On the other hand, SRS and natural use are not incompatible: usually the more you encounter a word in a natural context, the less you see it in your SRS practice, and of course it's the other way round that makes SRS so useful.

Edited by Javi on 25 January 2014 at 8:39pm

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4648 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 23 of 32
25 January 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
SRS is not about drilling but rather the opposite: the goal is to make do
with as few repetitions as possible. For example a quit look at my best learned cards
(those with intervals of more that 15 years) reveals an average of 7-10 reps. Not all
of the words are common, everyday words. On the other hand, SRS and natural use are not
incompatible: usually the more you encounter a word in a natural context, the less you
see it in your SRS practice, and of course it's the other way round that makes SRS so
useful.

I am not quit sure about the terminology. By a SRS or memory drill I do not mean your
repeat a word many times in one session. I mean this, you learn one day say 12 words
(it is not important whether you use flashcards or word-lists. Then you repeat these
words the next day and then in longer and longer intervals . The intervals may be fixed
for the daily amount of words or you can repeat each word according to how well you
knew the word (the words you know well you will repeat in a longer time, the words you
knew with some difficulties you repeat in a shorter time and the words you did not know
you repeat early). I call all this memory drill or a SRS.

By repetition by natural use I mean this. You read a text or hear something in that
language in speech. You understand the meaning (or the context helps you and you
understand with the context help). Unlike in a SRS or memory drill, you do not repeat
the words in predefined intervals. You do not learn (intentionally) the words but you
use them.

My experience is that my capacity for memory drill (as described above) is rather
limited. And after   memory drill I am a bit tired. But hearing or reading or even
speaking a word in natural use does not consume you capacity for memorizing. One can
revive a lot of words from their vocabulary almost effortlessly. When you use a
language a lot and you know it well it is similar as when you use your mother tongue.
When one repeats their mother tongue, it needs no special effort. But when you do not
use your mother tongue for a long time, you will start forgetting it (at earlier stages
you do not remember some words or you cannot use some words actively though when you
hear them, you understand.).

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5956 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 24 of 32
25 January 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
The matter is quite complex in highly inflected languages where one can learn the word in it's nominative case, but barely recognise it in other cases. For me, some cases are trickier than others, like the dative feminine in Polish:
Take the English word 'star' : Polish nominative - gwiazda (a feminine noun). Polish dative - gwieździe

I absolutely agree that the best way to assimilate these forms is a blend of drills (e.g Anki) and exposure to context. In this way one can begin to recognise the prepositions and verbs which govern cases, and thereby begin to build word associations and patterns which help to memorise a word in all it's forms.

On another note, I'm fascinated by how people can memorise words made of characters or scripts different to their native language (like Arabic in my case).

Edited by Mooby on 25 January 2014 at 11:47pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version