23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 23
09 March 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Also note how the original claim was about what PIE *sounded* like.
Esperanto sounds like Italian or Spanish to someone who's only vaguely familiar with
these languages. It's often very specific things that create such an impression - for
example using la as an article or having nouns that end in -s.

I always love how in Romanian when you first read it you think "why is there la in front
of everything, is it an article" and then you realise it's a preposition - woops.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 23
09 March 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
And how come educated people say "dupa" all the time... :D
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 23
09 March 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And how come educated people say "dupa" all the time... :D

It's that you are Russian, because după clearly does not have the stress on that second
vowel turned all the way up, hahaha....

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 23
09 March 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
What does the second vowel have to do with it? :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 21 of 23
09 March 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What does the second vowel have to do with it? :)

Normally someone who pronounces the word "dupa" as you wrote it does it with a very long
a (if you don't reduce the vowel). However in Romanian you need to turn it into a schwa,
but in Russian you'd also put a schwa there. (assuming you reduce the a with a Russian
accent). So that's why. Dupaaaaaa is not Dupuh.

Edited by tarvos on 09 March 2014 at 12:59pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 22 of 23
09 March 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I know how it's written :P It's just discouraging how many Romanians don't type the diacriticts properly.

And yeah, Russian and Romanian reduce the a in roughly the same way.

So does Polish

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 23 of 23
09 March 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah, I know how it's written :P It's just discouraging how many
Romanians don't type the diacriticts properly.

And yeah, Russian and Romanian reduce the a in roughly the same way.

So does Polish

Yeah you know that always annoyed the shit out of me, the shebang with the diacritics,
but you get used to it. In fact I first saw Romanian without them then asked what those
signs on the posters in the kitchen were :D But the Romanians I talk to usually don't
write them.

Another story - I was teaching a Romanian Dutch a while back and we talked about
something - some phenomenon in Bucharest iirc - and I opened the wiki page and read it
out, and he said "you have a Russian accent when you speak Romanian". I must have
reduced all my vowels, haha...

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version