Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 10 of 18
04 March 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I found a couple of updates through Twitter:

Spanish via Duolingo

CMP=twt_gu">
Russian via Skype

Couldn't find anything from the person studying French except a tweet: "Stayed up all night studying French".
Sound familiar?
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4295 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 18
09 March 2014 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Can you learn a language exclusively through internet sources? Well you probably can, and it is in my opinion as likely as
learning it through ordinary classroom teaching

We all recognize the basics can be learned through phrase book, computer software, online videos. These include basic grammar rules such as
subject-verb conjugation, counting numbers, telling, time and a few basic phrases like "Hello, how are you" in any language.

Classroom instructions must be in the immersion format to be successful. I've been in French class before with everybody talking to each other in
English while repeating phrases in French in front of a teacher. The exposure to the language is too limited because you spend more time
communicating in English or a language you know already than your target language throughout the day.

Don't assume the only human interaction is in a classroom. Moses McCormick the polyglot would be in a shopping mall anywhere and find all sorts
of native speakers for 1 of half-dozen languages he studied but not at a high fluency level. The social interaction is helpful but just listening to a
language from any source (radio, TV, online videos, etc.) you basically get your brain to actively think in the language. Unless you are in a country
where you are talking in a language constantly, the next best thing would be to rely on listening to the sounds of a language through audio
resources.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4159 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 12 of 18
09 March 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
If I hadn't used the internet to research the multilingual world, I'd never have worked
out how to self-study a language. On the other hand, if I didn't work hard and invest
the time needed to distinguish the hype and wishful-thinking from the good advice of
Prof Arguelles and other polyglots with online profiles, I would have been sucked into
disappointing hype machines and have wasted time, money and enthusiasm. I mean, check
out this bare-faced viral propaganda for "Pimsleur": v=mSjG0nFaC_M">LINK
LINK
LINK]LINK[/URL]

...and so many other sites encourage building from words to sentences and not the
other way around. This is the main problem of contemporary language instruction.

Edited by Retinend on 09 March 2014 at 11:04pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6554 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 18
10 March 2014 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Classroom instructions must be in the immersion format to be successful. I've been in French class before with everybody talking to each other in
English while repeating phrases in French in front of a teacher. The exposure to the language is too limited because you spend more time communicating in English or a language you know already than your target language throughout the day.

Don't assume the only human interaction is in a classroom. Moses McCormick the polyglot would be in a shopping mall anywhere and find all sorts of native speakers for 1 of half-dozen languages he studied but not at a high fluency level. (...)

Two good points, but I have some reservations. Actually I have tried 100% immersion in French with a very gifted teacher in the 'gymnasium' (the same as in German, approx. high school in American English) - and after 2½ years he realized that most of the class wouldn't pass the exam. Then he gave us ½ year of something close to good ol' grammar translation and that filled in the void so that almost everybody passed. Since then I have retained my belief that immersion is very important, but a bit of formal training will help a lot - and this formal training doesn't have to be in the target language (in fact it is better NOT to assume that beginners can understand an explanation in the target language),.

People like Moses are very social, and apparently they don't mind addressing people in a shopping center in order to get some language training. I prefer having a good reason to disturb them, but once I have got one I don't mind intruding on complete strangers. The problem is that sheer need to speak a language isn't a sufficiently good reason in my world.

Edited by Iversen on 10 March 2014 at 9:36pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 18
10 March 2014 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Maybe one more issue here is that the exam was oriented at those who did grammar-translation? It's like your comparison about running and snooker. Immersion might not make you grammatically accurate fast, but you'll be much better at communicating and quite possibly also listening. If you measure immersion students' grammatical accuracy, you should also measure the communicational skills and listening of those who do grammar-translation.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6760 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 18
10 March 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
However, if all the instruction is done in the target language and the students have zero knowledge in the first place, I'm with Iversen. The closest thing to immersion I've experience was my week at Oideas Gael in Ireland last July. I learned a lot and the teacher was great BUT I wasn't a complete beginner.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4490 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 16 of 18
11 March 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
To return to the original article in the Guardian, I find that the "challenge" seems to be of limited interest, as it will be impossible to evaluate the usefuleness of the three methods used (Rosetta Stone, DuoLingo and Skype lessons). If this were to have any sort of "scientific" value with the aim of comparing the effectiveness of the three methods, I think there are a number of criteria that would have to be met: The three should have studied the same language and they would have to be limited to the same number of hours per week. Only on that basis could you tell who of the three had benefited the most from the chosen method. However, even that approach would not count for individual differences - e.g. to what extent any of the three participants has studied languages before etc.

In any case, they are comparing apples and pears. The way I see it, Skype is not at all the same as Duolingo, Rosetta Stone or other online courses, as Skype is simply a communication tool between two individuals, in this case a language tutor and a student. For me, there is no principle difference between having a private class via Skype and having a tutor coming to your office or your home, just that the physical distance doesn't matter with Skype, so the tutor may be in Moscow and the student in London. And yes, with Rosetta Stone you can sit up all night studying, but I hardly think your Skype tutor will be happy if you wake her/him up at 3am with a grammar question.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version