Groupie
United States
Joined 5345 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 1 of 6
25 February 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning Pashto at DLI and I'm struggling with listening. My last score on my listening test was 86, which might sound alright, but is below a 3.0 on the obnoxious scale we use here at DLI (anything below 96 is no longer an A.) We do maybe an hour or two of listening total every day in our 6-7 hours of classtime, and I have a little free time afterwards I could devote to that. I also have my weekends free. I want to know what you guys would suggest I do to quickly improve my listening.

Another thing I'm curious about are diminishing returns. From your experience, how much time can you devote to each activity (listening, reading, vocab) before you start to get diminishing returns or before it's not worth it to keep focusing on that activity.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
25 February 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I've never found a quick way to improve listening comprehension, unfortunately. I strongly suspect that building listening comprehension is a lot like building muscle: it requires a substantial, sustained effort.

My biggest improvements came from several things:

1. Watching several seasons of a TV series dubbed into French, and then repeating the process with a few other series. This is a typical "extensive" activity, and it can be done after all other forms of studying are done for the day. It works fairly well because TV series tend to use a limited number of voices and a predictable vocabulary, which gives you a temporary comprehension boost. And by working through several series, you gradually broaden this boost to cover more speakers and more subjects.

2. Using subs2srs to make flashcards from movies, and deleting 90% of the cards within the first few reviews. This was a remarkably effective "intensive" activity—I had automatic, nearly 100% comprehension of even the most difficult movie dialog that I studied within the first month of reviews. It's actually a little uncanny.

3. Repeatedly listening to short passages, and trying to make my own transcripts, then later checking them against real transcripts. This is much harder than subs2srs, and the payoff actually seems to be slightly less (at least for me), so I don't do it much. But it has the advantage of not requiring the target language to have a TV industry.

Iversen has some excellent advice on improving listening, but I can't find the link right now.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 6
25 February 2014 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
LR is the fastest way, especially if you have the time. (Oh the irony. But basically LR is imo the most efficient way of spending a lot of time on listening - I myself also watch a lot of football/soccer)
Some important threads:
Incorporating native materials
Diminishing returns
Iversen's guide to learning languages: listening
"three rules by Ari" - note that many disagree with the original post to some extent, but it's been the starting point for a great discussion

Also, would you say you need to improve your listening or to get better scores on listening? or both? And do you get GLOSS lessons as assignments? Work with them and try to deal with less familiar content. Maybe you just need to get used to the specific types of assignments and to guess/get the gist/cope with ambiguity in content that you're not expected to understand fully. After all, this is what real life language use is often like.

Edited by Serpent on 25 February 2014 at 8:10pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5617 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
25 February 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
One question: Do you have a firm grip on the target language phonology?
2 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4587 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
26 February 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
One more question- what kind of listening practice do you get during the classes?
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeteP
United States
Joined 4888 days ago

27 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Romanian

Message 6 of 6
26 February 2014 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Go to
http://www.rferl.org/section/afgha
nistan/149.html

LOTS of Pashto and Dari to listen to.

I LOVE their Moldovan site for listening to Romanian. I don't know Pashto but this site
looks like a GREAT resource. The Moldovan site has LOTS of audio and a LOT of the audio
comes with transcripts!

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version