15 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4558 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 15
02 March 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I pretty much always speed read, except if I don't know the language well enough to pull
that trick off. Then I just read a lot and at some point I get to the level where I can
do it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4679 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 15
03 March 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Do other people "hear" a voice in their head when they read, either in a target
language or native language?

I've seen it claimed that it's supposed to be "bad" to do this in one's normal native
language; I'll leave that one dangling.

But in a target language, I'd think it would be pretty valuable, and I certainly try to
do it.

Harder to do this when speed reading.

And hard to speed-read when reading out-loud, and I think readng out loud is a useful
exercise - not always and not everywhere, obviously, but fairly regularly.

Edited by montmorency on 03 March 2014 at 2:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3783 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 15
03 March 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Do other people "hear" a voice in their head when they read, either in a target
language or native language?

I've seen it claimed that it's supposed to be "bad" to do this in one's normal native
language; I'll leave that one dangling.

But in a target language, I'd think it would be pretty valuable, and I certainly try to
do it.

Harder to do this when speed reading.

And hard to speed-read when reading out-loud, and I think readng out loud is a useful
exercise - not always and not everywhere, obviously, but fairly regularly.

Yes. Reading fast quiets it down. Doesn't seem to stop the information from being there. Maybe my brain is just
weird about these things.

I rarely read aloud, but it does sound like a good way to go about it.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6554 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 15
03 March 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
If you speedread you skip the most important elements in the target language you are
supposed to learn, namely the 'grammar words'. Of course it has its merits, but mainly
when you read for content. As for reading 1000 pages of Finnish: good luck.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6526 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 13 of 15
03 March 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
If you want to practice "extensive reading" and you have good enough L2 reading skills, it might be a good idea.

Sometimes I use this free software:

http://www.eyercize.com/practice/bm_read/

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3783 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 15
03 March 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for that link, slucido. That's quite helpful! Speed reading software has the advantage that you can make it
make you go faster than you can make yourself go with a capped pen guide and turnable pages.

Thank you for the encouragement, Iversen. I think you only miss the small words if they are meaningless to you,
though. With Ilias, I always notice "vai", "or", which I learned on an earlier occasion; I also notice different endings,
though I can't begin to guess which are genitive and which are which type of locative and so on. I'll save all that for
later, though.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 15
06 March 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
try this test.

Don't read the rest of my comment until you've checked the link. Don't. An explanation is to follow. This is relevant to this topic. Especially this particular quote:
DinaAlia wrote:
I think you only miss the small words if they are meaningless to you,
though. With Ilias, I always notice "vai", "or", which I learned on an earlier occasion;

That's not how it works. You notice "vai" because you know very few Finnish words. If you knew the meaningful words surrounding it, you'd barely notice this one.

When you're actually learning a language, prepositions will get filtered out before you truly learn them. When you're reading extensively, you don't notice prepositions at all, or you just classify them as prepositions without caring about the details until something truly stands out. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but for an accurate production you need something like lyricstraining, MCD or usual cloze deletion, or making your own exercises. See this thread too.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version