Cantomax
Kazakhstan
Englishlikeanative.cRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3770 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 14
05 March 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Has anyone come across a language course where they deliberate mix languages in an attempt to 'naturally' help you learn the new words.

I saw a course last year and for the life of me can no longer find it.

For example;

Tomorrow I am going to go to la playa.

I know there will be people who think this is terrible, I was just hoping someone would know where to find this course (as I have promised a friend the details).

Thanks

Joanne
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4104 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 14
05 March 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Well at first it seems like it's begging for interference, so I am quite understandably skeptical, but can you cite anything, what's it based on? I'm minorly interested.

Cantomax
Kazakhstan
Joined 3770 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 14
05 March 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
It's based on the idea of code switching, code mixing (I think) where a language speaker naturally moves to a different language and back again. It is supposed to bring familiarity of the new language gradually to the learner. I thought it was an interesting way to get started.

There were several different languages in these courses, but like I say I can't find them online anymore. Would probably be better if they explained what their idea is based on.

If you have any ideas on what I should search under, all help appreciated.

Thanks

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 14
05 March 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles, I really love "Senja opettaa ruotsia" that uses a similar method.
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7072 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 5 of 14
05 March 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 

I believe Power-glide programs are like this. I have not gone through my Latin course,
but did listen to the first couple of tracks a couple years back. A story starts out in
English and starts to place target language words in the sentences. Translating what the
words mean upon introduction. Eventually more words in a sentence. Presumably entire
sentences after a while.

I actually looked at some reviews for the Power-glide Spanish course on Amazon.com and
the criticisms are mainly about the course being Spanglish. The course has too much
English and apparently not enough of the target language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cantomax
Kazakhstan
Joined 3770 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 14
05 March 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi, There seems to be a lot of talk calling it the 'diglot weave' saying it began in Russia with storytelling to 6 year olds. There is also reference to Pimsleur, saying they use this approach. I am not sure how true this is as the advertisement for Pimsleur talks a lot about learning by listening.

If anyone has any other links, please keep them coming!

Thanks

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4679 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 7 of 14
05 March 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like it could be could for indvidivual word vocabulary building, and perhaps short
phrases.

It's hard to see how language structure differences would be handled though..

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7072 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 14
05 March 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I believe Pimsleur is different. There is a lot of English, but introduction wise you
listen to a short conversation only in the target language and then it is broken down
throughout the thirty minute lesson. The learner uses the words given and are reviewed
by a prompt to prevent the words from fading away. It is interactive and effective, as
the learner immediately speaks only in the target language. Later in the lesson the
entire dialogue is repeated in the target language again in it's entirety. The learner
understands what the dialogue was said.

My analogy for Pimsleur and steps are as follows:

1) Seeing a picture of many puzzles combined as a whole first on how it is suppose to
look like. (The target language dialogue)

2) The picture is broken down to pieces on how the puzzle fits into each other. No
explanation of grammar just inference. It is done in isolation each word and part as it
were on the usage. (Words in the dialogue)

3) Finally when the pieces of the puzzle fit all together you realize the whole is
greater, than the sum of its' parts, but each part is necessary to make it whole. (The
target language dialogue again)

I would say Pimsleur is different and does not have the same approach. It does not
teach the learner to use English and place a smattering of target language words while
using English.

The Power-glide program on the other hand makes use of the Diglot weave method. I just
feel they narrate it to you and passively the learner, starts using words here and
there, but not functional conversation. I still have to fully go through the course,
but if there were a comparison for most useful between Power-glide and Pimsleur, then
it is not much of a contest. I vote for Pimsleur.

I am editing to add this part:

I do believe also the diglot weave method is beneficial for vocabulary building, but
language acquisition for conversation is a different story all together. I found some
Power-glide samples on Youtube

here.

The other weakness for Power-glide seems to be non-native speakers. I can understand
the Latin course being so, but the other programs does not have much of an excuse.
Power-glide uses other activities also, such as puzzles, games, songs and others.

This is to reiterate, that Pimsleur is not the same method.

Edited by alang on 07 March 2014 at 8:51am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version