Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4760 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 13
06 March 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
A long time ago I started a thread (I can't find now) in which I mentioned playing Uno in
French with my kids. We learned the names of the colours, skip turn, and the rest of the
card names, and the kids had to say the card name in French to play it. It didn't
involve speaking in full sentences (which was well beyond my French at the time) but it
was fun and useful.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 10 of 13
06 March 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent Neat to hear about the changes at Lyricstraining!

@Jeffers Sounds like a great adaptation to a simple, well-known game for your kids!
It's great to look for little ways like that to get language play in, especially with
your family.

Regarding video games - sure this can count! I think especially if you're required to
interact with the game through language (such as in Criminal Case cited above) than
it's more active than watching TV or movies.

I've been trying to see if I can come up with a sort of sentence builder card "game"
based on a few of the trickier units in my Irish book. It's basically just a more
creative way of using flash cards, though through separating things like question and
negation particles, verbs, personal pronouns, objects, adverbs, etc, I can mix and
match the cards to form different sentences (though not all cards within a category are
perfectly able to be substituted, of course). With Irish, the complicating factor is
the mutations. I finally figured out last night that I can have cards with the letters
that would be needed for eclipsis and for lenition, instead of the "h" that goes after
the first letter, I can just display it using the dot above the letter as in the old
script.

As far as games go, it's not the most exciting, but it's a change from doing straight
drills and it's kind of like playing solitaire.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
06 March 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne, you might be interested in rapp's Neutrino log here at HTLAL, which describes how the latest version of Silver Spoon/Neutrino uses gamification.

In general, Khatzumoto is very interested in motivational psychology. In my log, I briefly discuss how he uses intermittent reinforcement in his IMX link email service.

I've also previously mentioned some games used by French speech therapists who work with native children, including Bon Nombre, Bon Genre. I'd guess that there are actually quite a few language-related games out there for native kids, but I've never really looked.

Anyway, that's all I know about gamification and languages. :-)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4719 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 12 of 13
07 March 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
A game I played with a class of A2 German students was "Who am I?" for yes-no-questions. Worked fairly well.

I played lots with that class, but I don't know whether it would qualify as the kind of game you're looking for. When we had the topic of food and shopping, we'd name a meal we want to cool and I'd ask for all the ingredients we have to buy and had people answer in "we have to buy ..." or "we need ..." format. For the lessons on public transportation I printed out timetables and asked questions about which bus we have to take to get to a certain place, when the next one leaves and when it arrives.
We also started the lessons with a round of questions. You could ask anyone anything you wanted by throwing a ball. Sometimes these sessions had topics like past or future tense, or making questions with modal verbs, or "what is/do you like better, this or that".

These games were great for getting people to talk and to remember common structures. The key in getting them to answer in complete sentences was to repeat the answer as a full sentence if they only said a word or said it incorrectly - all in good fun (my co-teacher and I frequently made jokes at our own expense to ease fears of speaking incorrectly). It wasn't difficult to establish that routine, but they were fairly motivated adults, so it might take some more will-power and perseverance to get kids or teenagers to do the same.

I'm getting really nostalgic about my German course now... it was so much fun to teach...

Edited by druckfehler on 07 March 2014 at 3:41pm

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 13 of 13
08 March 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
That sounds like a great activity - a lot like the Go Fish game I used. I actually
thought of modifying it so they seek sets that represent meals or balanced diets. It's
definitely way more fun to teach this way than to struggle to take a barely-responsive
class through a lesson.

Now, as far as Neutrino goes, the other aspect of gamification it incorporates (going
off Rapp's log) is points. A lot of people find systems of points/badges essential for
gamified learning. Though for highly-motivated learners like most of us, I don't know
how necessary it is (at least for me). Though the way Memrise does it worked on me. You
can mark other Memrise users as friends and then your points will be compared to
their's for the week, the month, and all time. This worked well for stoking a little
competitive fire. I think by comparing yourself to a select group instead of the entire
site is a good idea as there will always be the fanatics who rack up an insane amount
of points that's impossible to overcome. Goals that are ambitious yet possible to
complete are more effective.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version