Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
neok
United Kingdom
Joined 4150 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 6
09 March 2014 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
About 10 months a go I started to learn Portuguese. I only really stuck to it for a month
and then I took a massive; lets call it a break. Anyway after the break I think that I'm
finally ready to start learning again! But I'd like to know what the best way to go
through a book on learning a language is. I bought a book called First Thousand Words
Portuguese and it's for beginners learning Portuguese. It's full of vocab and pictures to
match the vocab (the book is designed for children but it's great for adults too). My
question is what the best way to learn all of this vocab is. Is it best to just sit there
and memorise all the vocab or is there another method that I could use?
1 person has voted this message useful

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3875 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 6
09 March 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
The best way is to make it fun. Find the interesting words, learn them, use them, find more interesting words, and
so on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 6
09 March 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
How much did you learn in that month and how much do you remember now? Can you pronounce the words from the book? Do you know the basic grammar? (gender of nouns/adjectives and the present tense of verbs) Do you have any other resources? Are you learning European or Brazilian Portuguese?

You're on the right track: techniques are more important than the specific resource you're using. But you can't learn just with the book you have. You need either a different coursebook or native materials. Preferably both. Start using music from the beginning, too.

Edited by Serpent on 09 March 2014 at 4:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

neok
United Kingdom
Joined 4150 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 6
09 March 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I'd say that I covered around 4 or 5 pages of vocab in that month. I'd say that I can
only remember about 25% of it now. I can pronounce the words correctly. Also I do have
another more serious book that covers things like gender of nouns and the verb to be
etc... And lastly I am learning European Portuguese.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 6
09 March 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I'd start with a few good courses. You should be able to get Pimsleur and then the Living Language Ultimate course from your local library. Those would be great places to start.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 6
09 March 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
(I edited my previous post while you were replying)

Yeah you need that other book too :) If it's boring, you don't have to use it as directed. See how well you can understand the simple texts for example. (if there are none in the book, you should find them elsewhere, perhaps online. Using parallel texts allows for a more interesting content.

See this thread too, and the links.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version