Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is mindfulness bad for language learners?

Tags: Meditation
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1
sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 9 of 14
16 March 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Ever since I've learned about meditation and mindfulness I've seen a lot of benefits. It's not something you
have to practice all the time but a few moments spent practicing focus feels really beneficial. They'll tell you
that sitting and trying not to think of anything will inevitably fail - that's the point. You learn how to practice
meta thinking and reigning your mind in when it wanders. And every once in a while you will be able to
achieve "perfect" mindfulness which feels pretty amazing. You realize how overstimulated we really are. Also
it's been great for developing a mind body connection - I'm so much more in tune with how my body reacts to
stress and negative stimuli now so I'm able to catch it before it starts to spoil my mood. Finally, through
language Hunters I've come to respect the importance of taking care of yourself before engaging your mind in
an intense task such as language learning (think Maslow's hierarchy of needs). Sure, we can cram every
moment of our lives with language exposure but as animals we need rest to work optimally. And TV, books,
etc aren't really rest for the brain.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4679 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 14
16 March 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ari, nice to see you again.

I haven't done meditation properly, although it has long been something I've meant to
study at some point, although I think I tend to do something like it fairly naturally.
I can sit through long films, radio plays or audio books so long as the bladder holds
out....(you youngsters won't understand...).

But thinking about this not quite strictly in terms of meditation, up until recently
most of my language learning has been in terms of fairly traditional means with a lot
of book-work, reading, some writing, and not nearly enough speaking.

Although I did initially study Spanish via Michel Thomas, which as people will know is
all audio and speaking, once I'd done his CD courses, I switched to a relatively
traditional course (which was also fairly academic, and would have become more so, if
I'd continued along those lines).

Now when I started learning Welsh last year, with SSiW, this was like MT only more so,
with lots and lots of speaking, no reading whatsoever (in fact, strongly discouraged at
first). What seemed to be happening was that you were being trained to react to
prompts pretty much automatically. After a while, you'd find you were beginning to form
the TL response well before the English prompt had finished, and more often than not
almost as soon as the English prompt had started.

In other words, you were doing it without thinking - now, is that almost the direct
opposite of "mindfulness"? I'm really not sure, because this is just the kind of thing
we can do - apparently without thinking - in our target language - EDIT: In our
native language, I mean - sorry!

Imagine: you are in a conversation with one other person. You are batting the ball
across the net to each other, to borrow MT's analogy. While they are speaking, you are
listening, but you are also thinking of your response at the same time. Is that being
mindful, or not?

Edited by montmorency on 16 March 2014 at 11:12pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5113 days ago

2238 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 14
16 March 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back, Ari! It's good to see you posting again. I follow the blog of Leo Babauta of Zenhabits. Leo is the first to say that he is not a Buddhist but follows the philosophy of mindfulness. His posts have helped me a lot in language-learning and life. He specializes in creating new habits. As a successful writer, he must be creative by definition. I don't think being mindful has hurt his creativity at all.

As with many things, moderation may be the key. Perhaps there is a time to be mindful and a time to let your mind wander and embrace its creative side.

Again, nice to see you back!   
4 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5058 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 14
17 March 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Even if the research is accurate, I reckon the benefits would still outweigh the drawbacks.

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4653 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 13 of 14
17 March 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
That's me stuffed. I'm about to start doing Mindfulness training with my psychiatric OT
to help my chronic depression/anxiety.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4698 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 14 of 14
18 March 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Welcome back, Ari! It's good to see you posting again. I follow the blog of Leo Babauta of Zenhabits...

The iguana strikes again! What a site. Just wanted to say thanks!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version