Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3943 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 19
18 March 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi all :)

I have watched on the news that a good method for learning languages was hypnosis, but I really don't believe that such a method could work. Still, I have never tried.

Is there anyone here who has tried it, or has heard about it? Does it work? Or is it just a method used by some dishonest people to earn some money?
2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3758 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 19
18 March 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I've known people who have had moderate success with hypnosis for breaking habits (smoking and whatnot). Eventually it wore off, but I imagine it would work for language learning, so long as you practice using what you've learnt to bring it to your conscious mind. I'm sure it would work, but I also bet that there'd be bogus "hypnotists" lining up to take peoples' money, so if you want to try it make sure you do your research on whomever you go to.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 18 March 2014 at 9:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4679 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 19
18 March 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
It would be interesting to know if one could learn more about the "secrets" of the
hypnotists (or so called hypnotists), and then see if one could apply it to oneself,
and specifically to aid language-learning.

Although there must be a fair number of charlatans and purely showmen out there calling
themselves hypnotists, it does appear that such a process is, or can be real, even if
it isn't quite as magic or as powerful as the unknowing general-public might think it
is.

And hypnotherapy appears to be a valid branch of medicine, and it would be interesting
to know what's going on there.

I doubt if it's a short-cut to language-learning somehow, but nevertheless knowledge of
what is happening when hypnosis or trance takes place may be useful.

(perhaps in a similar way to meditation, as discussed in another thread recently).

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4104 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 19
19 March 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
I highly doubt it. Even if hypnosis works to any degree (I haven't seen much evidence saying that it does but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt) according to my understanding it's used in modifying already existing memories, not in planting new ones, let alone facilitating the planting of an entirely new system for communication in one's head.

I'm not making any claims since I have no sources to cite but yeah, as it stands I'm not buying it.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7056 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 19
19 March 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
I've not been hypnotized, but if one were open to it and believed in the hypnotist, I imagine it could help with motivation and possibly a mental sticking point. By mental sticking point, I mean something like, "I want to learn French, but all of Rupert Murdoch's media outlets have told me French is bad".

I think the same effect could be obtained through normal cognitive processes. A lot of what happens here at the forum is motivational, inspirational, and encourages open culture.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5185 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 19
19 March 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I lost all faith in hypnosis when I went to what was supposed to be one of the top experts in the country to get rid of my sugar addiction. He made me tell him about my life (and this was in a period that was particularly hard for me) and when I was through,he just smirked, and said: "Well you must have been a real bitch when you were younger to be at the receiving end of that much bad karma". Thank you, thank, you, thank you. I am sure my mother was bedridden and in terrible pain for 10 years because I refused to go to bed when I was told to when I was a child.

I stayed away from sugar for two days, before the effect wore off.So no, I do not have a lot of faith in learning languages by hypnosis.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6554 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 19
19 March 2014 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Even if hypnosis works, would you want to be hypnotized for hundreds of hours while you try to become an ace in a foreign language? And wouldn't the hypnotist have to be a language teacher too? Where do you find such a person?

I actually do believe that hypnosis can introduce 'new' memories, and that makes me even more suspicious of the whole concept. The more hypnotism really can do to people, the more sceptical you should be.

Which personality types choose to become hypnotists? Probably the kinds I would be least likely to trust! Like Cristina's nut case, who apparently mixed the psychoanalytic idea that everything is the fault of your parents with a fluffy new age terminology based on words pilfered from oriental religions. Would this be the kind of person you would like to tamper with your mind?

Edited by Iversen on 19 March 2014 at 12:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7056 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 8 of 19
19 March 2014 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
I'm totally with you guys. For a skill like language, I don't see hypnosis helping with learning, other than possibly on the psychological side.

I know a woman who has been hypnotized on a few different occasions to quit smoking. She swears by it, at least with this particular hypnotist. It's not a permanent solution. As with any habit concerning an addiction, one small slip can set you all the way back.

Just for background, she would have a single session with the hypnotist and would immediately stop smoking (for several months).

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version