19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 19
19 March 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I think it could be useful if you don't like a language but really need to learn it. Or for heritage learners who have bad memories associated with the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5263 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 10 of 19
19 March 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I haven't undergone hypnosis myself, but several of my friends have. Most of them said that they only thing that hypnosis did for them was reaching a state of deep relaxation. If that's the case, self-guided relaxation exercises should have pretty much the same effect.

Iversen wrote:
Even if hypnosis works, would you want to be hypnotized for hundreds of hours while you try to become an ace in a foreign language? And wouldn't the hypnotist have to be a language teacher too? Where do you find such a person?

AFAIK, the whole concept was introduced by Lozanov and other Suggestopedia proponents. However, since none of the scientific studies into Suggestopedia backed up Lozanov's claims, the whole Suggestopedia hype quickly fizzled out.

Iversen wrote:
I actually do believe that hypnosis can introduce 'new' memories, and that makes me even more suspicious of the whole concept. The more hypnotism really can do to people, the more sceptical you should be.

AFAIK, most mind-altering methods usually have only temporary, effects, however, some unethical experiments in a clinical setting, caused permanent amnesia in some patients and some psychotherapy methods can lead to false memory syndrome. However, most non-clinically trained hypnotists simply lack the training to cause this kind of damage.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4952 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 19
19 March 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I think several points need to be adressed here.

1. Hypnosis is a valid tool in the hands of a skilled and responsible psychotherapist. It was one of the things that helped me get my claustrophobia under control and it worked on my cousin's phobia as well.

2. A bad hypnotist can mess you up but a real professional does not go that way. The basis of the method is using your subconscious mind and helping you untangle some things you can't break through by thinking and speaking and so on. It is not a panacea for any trouble, it is a good supportive treatement for some troubles and some kinds of people. And even a well done hypnosis can have side effects as your mind is dealing with the new stimuli (such as different dreams) and you may feel weird or tired a few hours after the hypnosis and so on. Really, I have hard time thinking of reasons why anyone would go for it just for learning when there are better and more fun methods.

3. There are downsides. It can be misused, even though in more complex and subtle ways than ordering you in hypnosis to kill your president or whatever the Hollywood likes to portray. Yes, it is possible to make you answer questions but what is going to happen during your hypnoses is to be discussed before you go there. If you don't trust your therapist, don't let them proceed and either choose another one or a different method. The false memories are possible as well just as other things and several governments have surely experimented with hypnosis :-(

4. Miraculous hypnotic learning methods are a popular thing among some people, just like weird ways to lose weight. I think it's just placebo. Based on what I've read about several such methods, you are basically using the "hey, I am now super smart having been hypnotised" feeling to give yourself the motivation. Direct teaching while you are under hypnosis sounds weird and I highly doubt it would have the desired effect.

5. I have met people trying a lot of weird things to learn English, including the courses using elements of hypnosis. I have yet to hear a single success story. Really, if it worked, it would be used not only for languages.

Edited by Cavesa on 19 March 2014 at 4:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5709 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 19
19 March 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
What use is a method that can target single key memories very well (and has its use in changing maladaptive memories), when what you want to do is form many thousands of new memories?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4952 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 19
19 March 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I don't think changing single key memories is the bases of most hypnosis uses, including the therapeutical. The way is to help with the emotional and similar issues tied to them, not to brainwash the patient. The memory changing and adding thing is more a matter of wild experiments and possible misuses than any normal use of hypnosis.

But the truth is that the "best" (most explained and probably the most successful) hypnosis course I've read of is one of those trying to help forever beginners get the real basics. So, that reduces the amount of things to learn.

But even there, it is not based on the hypnotist teaching you while you're hypnotised. I think that is a misunderstanding here. Most "hypnosis learning methods" are not based on you not being awake in the class, it's more about smaller "exercises" to stimulate you while you are awake. I think it is a placebo. You could just as well give them vitamin C tablets at the beginning of every class and claim they will stimulate the language related centers of their cortex and it would be the same in my opinion.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 4035 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 14 of 19
20 March 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for those interesting answers. But I wonder what a psychologist would answer to that question because, as linguists, we can only give our opinions and talk about things we've heard or lived, but we can't really know for sure.
Except if any of you has studied psychology or something like that?

Elanguest
Malta
elanguest.com
Joined 3809 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 19
28 April 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Hmm, sounds like an excuse for not studying. ;) I don't know much about hypnosis, but every so often a new
"miracle method" comes along just as a new "miracle drug" comes along in the world of medicine. It's been my
experience that slow and steady works best, and relying on these miraculous methods usually results in
disappointment and the loss of a lot of money.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 19
28 April 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I think it can help, I used to do some self-hypnosis after having classes. I used this relaxed state to review the lesson I had and it seemed to help me to remember the words and things from that class.

Having said that, any review of a class or lesson afterward will assist in recall since making the effort to recall something reenforces it in the memory. Plus being relaxed helps a lot with mental exercises.

So my anecdotal evidence is self-hypnosis and study reviews can help. Your mileage may vary. However there have been a number of psychological studies of learning under hypnosis which seem to show good results.

A recent experiment investigated the effects of hypnosis on the learning of the Morse code. Subjects who learned the code under hypnosis made fewer errors in subsequent tests (all conducted in a waking state) than did subject who learned the code without being hypnotized. The difference between the two groups was still significant on a test given 30 hours after leaning (Sears, 1955).

There is also the use of "time-distortion" (which is what I was doing in my reviews) which allows more effective memorization.
Interesting Article on Hypnotic Learning.

Another study here says:

In sum, we found that hypnosis substantially boosted procedural-based sequence learning. This result sheds light not only on the competitive nature of brain systems in cognitive processes but also could have important implications for training and rehabilitation programs, especially for developing new methods to improve human skill learning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version