Diglot
Norway
Joined 5760 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 19
30 April 2014 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I've read a fair bit about hypnosis and wouldn't dismiss it completely. I would never let another person hypnotise me though, so it's mostly about self-hypnosis for me (which has the benefits of being basically free), or using audio that I can check first. I think the main effect it can have, when done right, is to get certain ideas to 'stick' just a little bit deeper, because you're in a suggestible state.

Some people spend a lot of time doing affirmations and such, but if they don't deeply believe what they're saying, it probably won't work. I tend to see hypnosis as a tool to help your subconscious believe what your conscious self wants it to. We can have a lot of limiting beliefs about ourselves and we can't always change that by simply willing it to change on a superficial level.

So if someone is trying to change their diet, it might help them to reinforce the idea that healthy foods make them feel good. If someone is trying to quit smoking, it might help them to visualise themselves very clearly as a happy non-smoker with no cravings. If someone has anxiety about speaking their L2 in front of people they worry might judge them, it might help them to introduce the idea in their minds that they're able to calmly and confidently express what they want to say in their L2. I'm not sure how you would use it to, say, learn vocabulary, but I think it can help with the psychological side of it. Not everyone needs this, but I'm sure lots of people could benefit from working on their own specific limitations.

Anyway there's lots of literature out there about hypnosis as a tool, which is different than stage hypnosis for entertainment, and it's very unfortunate that the two tend to get lumped together because it is actually being used by serious psychologists and has helped people (including me). There's no real hocus-pocus to it, but stay away from those who try to make it seem that way. It's a shame that the bad experience put people off it, because it can be really useful when done carefully.

Liz
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4295 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 18 of 19
01 May 2014 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Another similar approach would be to get someone to learn a new language during their sleep... by
listening to audio playback continuously. Your brain is basically a sponge. When you are in your sleep
your stress level is the lowest and therefore most likely able to learn.

There was a news story that came out of Melbourne, Australia a few years back. A young man (Ben
McMahon) who was still in high school got enrolled in Chinese classes. He had trouble getting his level
to improve until 1 day he had a car accident with a concussion. After 3 days in a coma he woke up and
started speaking to the Chinese nurse in Mandarin and writing his thoughts to her in Chinese
characters. His parents thought that he completely lost his English and they would have to learn Chinese
to talk to him. His English came back but at the same time he was absorbing new Chinese words &
phrases like a sponge. Before his high school graduation, he represented Australia in a language
competition in Beijing. Later he became the host of a local Chinese variety show 澳麥GA (AumyGA) in
Melbourne.

There is a lot that we don't understand about the brain. It would be nice to be able to engage in a
method that does not require the help of another individual such as a hypnotist or a product such as
paying for Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone... such as meditation.

Edited by shk00design on 02 May 2014 at 11:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5416 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 19 of 19
01 May 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
In the 1950s studies by Simon and Emmons showed that the learning of new material,
particular vocabulary, during sleep is complete bunk. More recent research has found
that classical conditioning can be reinforced in sleep (e.g. memory of scents), but has
remained highly sceptical that new material can be acquired through sleep.

The brain, the best evidence and research shows (and has shown for a long timne) is not
a sponge in sleep, - the only time that such learning can be effective is the short
period just before full waking.

http://cogpsy.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Simon_Emmons-1 955-Learning-During-
Sleep.pdf

That's not to say that if you want to have vocabulary on while you sleep you shouldn't.
If it gives you confidence do it. But the research indicates that there are no magic
shortcuts - the best thing to do is study, and allow yourself a
proper night's sleep to let sleep do what it is supposed to do.

Edited by Elexi on 01 May 2014 at 10:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version