jimmyy
Belgium
Joined 4118 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 8
24 March 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I can speak five languages Romanian, English, French, Dutch, Russian, some of them better
than the others.

Is there any advice on learning multiple languages at once, or being exposed on a daily
basis to 3-4 languages at once.

I'm having some difficulties remembering all the rules and the difference in spelling.

Many thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 8
24 March 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Here's a recent thread on this topic. I wrote quite a bit there, and there are links too (check my wikia article for example)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4558 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 8
24 March 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Yeah.

You study them. It depends on your levels, but for me, all the languages you mentioned
are part of my arsenal, and I did them more or less one-by-one, with the exception of
my native tongue and English.

As you probably know, both German and French are compulsory at Dutch schools (and I
also took Latin), so at that point I studied them at the same time. I cannot reiterate
how important having a good foundation in those languages and how important time
management becomes when you study several foreign languages (and for us it was
compulsory).

Rules, grammar and spelling are things that come with time and practice. If you don't
remember it today, don't beat yourself up over it - it'll come tomorrow. I don't know
every detail of French either and I don't need to know right now. If it is a particular
issue then expend considerable effort in remedying it (if it really represents a hole
in your knowledge), other than that just keep trucking.

The trick is to keep using them, keep them active, and give them contexts in your daily
life. Most of my better languages tend to be those I have (had) to use socially, and
French/Russian form a big part of that.
6 persons have voted this message useful

xMachiavelli
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

7 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 8
31 March 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Yeah.

You study them. It depends on your levels, but for me, all the languages you mentioned
are part of my arsenal, and I did them more or less one-by-one, with the exception of
my native tongue and English.

As you probably know, both German and French are compulsory at Dutch schools (and I
also took Latin), so at that point I studied them at the same time. I cannot reiterate
how important having a good foundation in those languages and how important time
management becomes when you study several foreign languages (and for us it was
compulsory).

Rules, grammar and spelling are things that come with time and practice. If you don't
remember it today, don't beat yourself up over it - it'll come tomorrow. I don't know
every detail of French either and I don't need to know right now. If it is a particular
issue then expend considerable effort in remedying it (if it really represents a hole
in your knowledge), other than that just keep trucking.

The trick is to keep using them, keep them active, and give them contexts in your daily
life. Most of my better languages tend to be those I have (had) to use socially, and
French/Russian form a big part of that.

I agree that they come with time and practice. If I say something wrong, it feels awkward, even if I cannot rationalize that awkward feeling immediately. People tend to assimilate grammatical rules.

Even when typing, we tend to 'feel' typos immediately.

It also depends a bit on what you are studying, in my opinion. Spanish and Italian back to back or Russian and Ukrainian would be a nightmare for many people. I would advise against studying two closely related languages simultaneously unless you have to, and instead wait until you're at least at a B2 level before moving on.

Time management is also important. I spend at least an hour on Russian every day, and 20 minutes for Spanish. The reason the minimums are so different is because I have absolutely no problem with Spanish, and I live in a Spanish speaking part of the United States(five hours from the Mexican border, actually). Russian on the other hand is completely foreign to me- from the alphabet, to the pronunciation, to the grammar, and therefore requires two or three times as much daily study as Spanish to get it to stick.

4nLV
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 8
05 April 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
From what I've read and heard from experienced linguists it might be in your best
interest to only focus on one at a time. It definitely makes it easier to confuse the
multiple languages with eachother if you're constantly switching between them.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 8
05 April 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
You probably mean polyglots. There's an overlap but it's not the same thing. And I don't think they're afraid of confusion. I know I keep linking to my own posts, but here's one about the reasons why the one-language-at-a-time thing got popular.

It's basically a question of time and motivation. Do you have a highest priority language that you want to learn well? Do you already speak some of your languages well? (I'm guessing English at least, and likely French?) Take the diminishing returns into account as well. Lyricstraining is a great site for keeping your spelling skills sharp. Switching is normally not a big deal: just force it and it'll happen. Learning L3 via L2 helps a lot here, and I tend to avoid translation exercises for the same reason.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4159 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 7 of 8
06 April 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
4nLV wrote:
From what I've read and heard from experienced linguists it might be in your best
interest to only focus on one at a time. It definitely makes it easier to confuse the
multiple languages with eachother if you're constantly switching between them.

Presuming that you do mean polyglots, it's notable that Alexander Arguelles and Deka Glossai advocate simultaneous study.
Perhaps others too, I'm not sure. Arguelles says in his most recent video ("Price of Polygottery") that he thinks that
simultaneous study helps preserve languages and retard memory decay.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4558 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 8
06 April 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Benny and Luca don't.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version