15 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 15
27 March 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Try GLOSS for detailed listening, they have lots of lessons on various topics.

And see this article about using music in your learning, especially the lyricstraining site. don't replace your normal learning with music, but use music to be able to spend even more time with the language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3856 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 10 of 15
27 March 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
So I decided after reading the first couple of posts, that I'd try watching a few kids cartoons in French, since that to me would be the absolute easiest thing to understand, since those usually don't use big words, or complex subjects. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was learning by listening only, I'm learning the words, and grammar as well. My understanding isn't at an adult level yet, or at least I can't listen at an adult pace. I would like to say that the kids cartoon worked, I understood maybe 8 words in 10, and apparently even kids talk really fast too occasionally, so I missed a few, but was still able to get the gist of what was going on. Thank you. All of this has been really useful and interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5475 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
27 March 2014 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
As a guy who likes to stay informed, I pretty much know the news in English before I hear it in the TL. The BBC is my homepage when I start up the laptop in the morning. I read (some, not all, by any means) of The Guardian, The NYT, El País, El Nuevo Herald, Folha de São Paulo, Público from Portugal, A Verdade from Moçambique, VOA Kreyòl, Kol Israel Ladino, and of course, Twitter keeps it all organized for me.

Yeah, anybody who loves news as much as you do should definitely listen to tons of it, of course. :-) It's not that news is bad, or that TV is good—it's about finding things that make a reasonable amount of sense (even if you "cheat" shamelessly with transcripts and context), paying close attention, and then doing a lot of listening.

Tyrion101 wrote:
My understanding isn't at an adult level yet, or at least I can't listen at an adult pace. I would like to say that the kids cartoon worked, I understood maybe 8 words in 10, and apparently even kids talk really fast too occasionally, so I missed a few, but was still able to get the gist of what was going on.

This is really awesome news. If you can follow 80% of a kid's cartoon, then you're actually in great shape. Just keep digging for cool stuff that mostly makes sense (assuming you pay attention), and keep listening.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4771 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 12 of 15
28 March 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Yes - paying attention is half the battle - and not as easy as it sounds.

ChronoC
United States
Joined 3844 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 13 of 15
29 March 2014 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Some of my more recent french lessons have involved me repeating what was said without having the text
as a reference, another problem I seem to have is that I seem to not hear some words at all, and I don't
know if that is because I'm new to listening to french or if it's a case of me trying to speak a few new words as
well as remembering what was said? I might hear the entire sentence but miss nous, which in some cases
could be rather important. Most times though I miss a "le" or c'est. I was wondering if the french occasionally
just don't use le or la, like we don't use the dog every time we say it?

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4387 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 14 of 15
29 March 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
The problem in the beginning is that we haven't train our ears to the specific sounds of a language.
Individual words we may be able to figure out but when we listen to sentences, it gets more challenging.
6 months ago I was still working on my Chinese. A lot of TV programs especially those from Taiwan
have Chinese character captions. Some have both captions and English subtitles. I find it much easier to
read than listen. In the beginning, instead of listening to a radio program regularly, I would be cutting
off many of the English TV programs I'd normally watch except the news and watch more Chinese
programs with captions.

When choosing a movie on DVD I make sure it has both English & French with captions in both
languages. I can take my time watching up to half-hour of a movie at a time with the captions on and
then the captions off. Many French words have silent sounds that may be hard to follow at first so
reading off the screen would be easier. A typical French word to buy: acheter would sound like
ash-tay with the middle syllable silent. In the first person present tense would be achète
and sounds like a-shet. If you don't know a word or phrase, it is much easier to look up a
dictionary when the correct spelling is on the screen.

Another alternative would be listening to pop songs. Many come with lyrics so you can read while
listening to a song.

Edited by shk00design on 29 March 2014 at 4:13pm

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3850 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 15 of 15
15 April 2014 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
For German I listen to a podcast called Slow German. It's basically just a lady reading German articles slowly (not too slowly, but not fast either). I found that this has helped me tremendously with my listening; even if I don't know every word that's being said (and I definitely don't), my mind learns to pick up on key words and fill in the blanks and I'm getting really used to "listening in German". I'm sure there is something like this for French.

Another thing I use is the audio from Assimil. Sometimes when I drive I listen to the same 4 or 5 lessons over and over again and it really gets me used to actually listening in the target language without being discouraged.

The trick is to find dialogues/stories in the target language and just listen, listen, listen, even if it's the same thing over and over again. Movies and radio are great, but they are a bit advanced and can many times be discouraging. Good luck bud.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 15 April 2014 at 1:37am

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version