Germany
Joined 3933 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
31 March 2014 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I'm noticing an interesting phenomenon.
A lot of my language learning takes place on the weekend as you can tell from my
questions :)
So I studied a bit on friday night, then on saturday afternoon and night. I was planning
to study on sunday afternoon and then relax in the evening. But I found myself unable to
study on sunday afternoon, it felt like I had not digested the previously studied
material, and that if I studied, or even revised; some stuff I had learned would slip
away from the brain. So I wasted time away. In the night, I was back to normal, I could
study.

I had assumed digestion/consolidation occurs during sleep, but apparently I have to
spend some waking hours in low power mode for digestion.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4209 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 10
31 March 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
It happens to me as well, needing time to let information sink in.

However I don't think that you waste time studying even if that knowledge didn't stay with you at first: the second time round you'll probably remember.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5617 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 10
31 March 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Not all 'digestion' happens during sleep. The bulk of it does, but I usually find I can use the material better after two nights of sleep, plus of course the time inbetween. And after taking long walks.
I personally prefer testing/using on the third day over reviewing on the second day, because reviewing is boring and I never know which parts of those I recognize I won't remember the next day, and which parts I will remember because they suddenly make sense to me.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
31 March 2014 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Native materials at an appropriate level can provide the enzymes too
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
31 March 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
With Anki, I've noticed a version of this, but over a much longer time scale. Sometimes, I'll throw fairly hard material into my Anki decks: Challenging audio clips from movies, or sentences where the grammar makes no sense even after multiple readings (though the latter are getting quite rare).

The first several times I review these cards in Anki, I struggle, and it's no fun. But sometime later—typically between 20 and 40 days after I first review the card—I'll see the card again, and it will be completely obvious. I'll ask myself, "What was so hard about this card, anyway?" It's not really a gradual process: the card will be fairly hard during one review, and during the next review, it will be ridiculously easy.

I've also noticed that Anki makes a distinction between new cards and "mature" cards, and the dividing line seems to fall somewhere near the 30 day mark. So maybe other people have noticed some sort of change at about the same point.

Anyway, the brain is a strange place. It would be interesting to spend some time reading about memory consolidation, I imagine.
3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4295 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 10
10 April 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
According to Luca Lampariello the Italian polyglot, you cannot force yourself into learning words &
phrases because your brain is going to rebel. When learning any language, there are simple words &
phrases we would come across constantly. Once we know the meaning we would have no trouble
remembering them. Other words & phrases we encounter only once we wouldn't recall the next time we
come across them. We just have to keep a list of words & phrases we don't use as much as review them
once in a while.

Part of the problems of learning is getting enough exposure to a language. If you happen to be an
exchange student in a foreign country, you would have less trouble with a new language because you
would be using it constantly. Your exposure would be increased substantially. If you are learning at
home in an environment where there is less opportunity for using the language, you would need to
rework your schedule to get your exposure up.

6 months ago I was working on Mandarin I had to remove almost all the TV & radio programs I'd
normally listen to in English. Instead of relying on textbooks, I would be reading a newspaper in the
language every other day, watching TV and listening to radio discussions in the language to get the
exposure up. You keep a list of new words & phrases but at the same time do a lot of things you would
in a language like you are living abroad including going shopping, listening to the radio, watching TV.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 7 of 10
10 April 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
The book I got from Language Hunters, (which you can consult
here) has an interesting section
regarding the role of rest in processing new information. They liken it to rest days for
building muscle and to kneading dough (the stretch and fold metaphor):

Quote:
“When you exercise, you gain new muscle when you’re resting,
not when you’re working out. Learning is the same; you gain new ability during rest
periods, such as sleep, or varying your study. STRETCHING into new territory is great,
but you also must eventually FOLD to integrate it.” (p. 38)

It's also the way SRS works - forgetting is part of the process of remembering.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4159 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 8 of 10
12 April 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
As I would use the metaphor, I digest a chunk of audio with the assistance of text over
the course of about one week to ten days, at my current work rate of about 4 hours a day.
It is "digested" when I can quite easily understand and speak the sentences while
listening to them - without missing any meaning. Typically I see a number between 50 and
80 on my itunes playcount for these tracks.

This is adequately "digested" for me to move on to a fresh chunk of audio with text,
although further stages of "digestion "would be to be able to paraphrase the content of
the lesson, and to know every formal feature of the sentence e.g. tenses, noun genders.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version