Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3713 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
06 May 2014 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
I have to agree that the instructions for using the Assimil courses, or rather the lack of them, are pretty bad.
Apparently one was supposed to assimilate the Assimil instructions with your mother tongue as an infant in your
mother's lap!

I have searched online and have read the instructions provided with the Dutch Assimil course found here:

http://languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-an-assimil-cou rse/

I also realize that different people find it useful to work through the Assimil course in different ways.

What does the Assimil system expect me to do with the exercise(s) at the end of each lesson? How am I supposed
to tackle the exercises during the first and second waves/phases?

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7056 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 3
06 May 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
http://languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-an-assimil-cou rse/

In the Perl world, there is an expression, "There is more than one way to do it". It is shortened to TIMTOWTDO and pronounced "tim toady".

The value of the exercises depends partly on the course. Things I've done or considered:

* Look for the grammar points applied in the exercises. Often the information in the notes shows up in another form in the exercises.
* Write out the exercises. This is when helpful if you don't want to take on writing out the whole lesson.
* Use exercises as a translation exercise. This is much shorter than using the entire lesson as a wave 2 translation exercise.

Edited by luke on 06 May 2014 at 10:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4760 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 3
06 May 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
A search of HTLAL would have come up with that very useful information, because it has been linked here
several times. Here's another example that lays it all out:
http://how-
to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20748&PN =1&TPN=1#234250

To answer your specific question: from what I can figure out, Assimil does expect you to do both
sets of exercises during the passive wave. I do them for both waves, hoping that during the second wave
I can answer them pretty easily (and when that's not the case, I know I need more review). The first is just a
translation exercise: can you understand what is being said? The second is a simple fill in the blank. I answer
them both in my head.

Edited by Jeffers on 06 May 2014 at 11:48am

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version