Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 9 of 35
04 August 2005 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Is reading and writing Korean easier than Japanese. From the samples of each language that I have, Japanese seems to use Kanji far more than Korean uses Hanja.

Although I've also haerd that speaking is harder. What makes this so?
1 person has voted this message useful

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6858 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 10 of 35
04 August 2005 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I can only comment on reading and writing (I don't have experience with spoken Japanese).

Reading and writing in Korean: to learn Hangul only takes a day or two, where as Japanese Katakana and Hiragana takes a bit longer (probably because there are more to remember) ...also, from what I can gather, Kanji is a modified Chinese charater (although simplified from traditional characters) ...where as Hanja are traditional characters. So, if you already know Chinese, then Hanja would be easier than Kanji... but if you know neither, Hanja is probably slightly harder than Kanji (more strokes as a general rule)

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7099 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 35
04 August 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
If you are learning Chinese with simplified characters, really, they will be at the same difficulty. With traditional characters, maybe you will learn the Korean set faster, but it's not the characters themselves that take time, it's the pronunciation.

I am sure some of forum members here who are learning an East Asian language can testify, the fewer strokes doesn't make the character a lot easier to learn.

As for Hangul being easier to learn - it's subjective really. In Japanese you don't need to learn how to put the "parts" together to form sounds. The 80-90 hirgana and katakana can easily be learned in a week, just like Hangul.

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6809 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 12 of 35
31 August 2005 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Maybe it's not essential for you to write in Hanja when you learn Korean, but I think it is quite essential that you can at least "recognize" them. Otherwise, how would you distinguish the 9 different "jeon-gi", which look identical in Hangeul? Same problem with Japanese, but at least their Kanji are in everyday use......with Korean reducing the usage of Hanja, some people might misinterpret that as "Hanja is no longer important".

Edited by epingchris on 31 August 2005 at 3:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6436 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean*

Message 13 of 35
02 March 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
While you do not need to know Chinese characters for basic literacy in Korean, you simply MUST know them to make any progress in vocabulary acqusition beyond the beginner's level.

I will disagree. Yes, hanja (Sino-Korean characters) will help in the acquisition of vocabulary. Hanja is to Korean as Latin is to English. Every hanja has its own meaning. But one Korean character can be associated with several hanja. So you need to determine which hanja the character represents. For example 미 can be represented by more than one character, but does it mean beauty or something else? It all goes back to context. You can learn a lot of words from context alone.

3 persons have voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6399 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 14 of 35
03 March 2007 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
I think the main difficulty with Korean really is a lack of good learning materials. I have the entire Ganada Korean textbook volumes and they are a pretty comprehensive guide on Korean grammar. Despite covering the grammar thoroughly, the books don't cover the Hanjas at all.

Most of the Korean learning materials for foreigners don't cover the Hanjas. And one of the challenges of learning Hanjas is that the Hanjas are really not used as much as they were in the past. In Newspapers, the only place to see the Hanjas are in the Newspaper headlines. The Newspapers today are 99 percent hangul script and maybe 1 percent hanja.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6858 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 15 of 35
04 March 2007 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
If you did want to study Hanja, the best book I have found is "A Guide to Korean Characters" by Bruce Grant. Published by Hollym and costs around 15000 Won in Seoul.
2 persons have voted this message useful

virgule
Antarctica
Joined 6621 days ago

242 posts - 261 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 16 of 35
09 March 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
If you read German, there's an newer version of the Grant book; it also includes Korean proverbs.

Beckers-Kim, Y. & Hetzer, H. (2002) Hanja: Handbuch und Lexikon der sinokoreanischen Schriftzeichen, Seoul, Hollym. ISBN: 8970943323

Saying this, there are some silly (minor) mistakes in the book...

The other book you might be interested in is the Korean Vocabulary Handbook. I found this book quite useful to understand vocabulary, and thus learn words. Interestingly, you can also use it without looking at the Hanja, if they scare you.

Choo, M. & O'Grady, W. (1996) Handbook of Korean Vocabulary: An Approach to Word Recognition and Comprehension, Honolulu, University of Hawaii Press. ISBN: 0824818156

As for the easy alphabet, most books go along with the 'official' line and pretend that Hangul is very easy and very logical. That's only part of the story, and you will have to master assimilation etc. one day if you really want to learn Korean. The following book can help with that. As with the Vocabulary Handbook, I thought the Pronunciation book helped me understand things I have picked up but never really understood.

Choo, M. & O'Grady, W. (2003) The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide, Honolulu, University of Hawaii Press. ISBN: 9780824826017

This all brings me to Ardaschir's book. It's the only book I've seen where Hanja are introduced from the beginning. It also teaches about the exceptions to the generally regular pronunciation of Hangul. The Pronunciation book I cited will go into greater detail, though. There are other aspects of the book I'm not entirely convinced; and there is (currently) only a beginners volume. See this thread for further comments.

Argüelles, A. & Kim, J. (2000) A Historical Literary and Cultural Approach to the Korean Language, Seoul, Hollym. ISBN: 1565911512

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version