Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5485 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 43
15 April 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Do you believe that some languages are harder to pronounce than others for certain languages groups? For
example: a Mexican, an Indian, and a Chinese man all learn English. Will it be easier for the Mexican to speak
English with an accent equal to six or seven on your scale than it would for the Chinese man or Indian man, and
vice versa.
1 person has voted this message useful

kevin_zhong
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 43
17 April 2009 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
will72694,

In regards to the specific example I do not know. However, it is to my judgment that because Spanish is my native tongue, I feel my pronunciation of Chinese is a lot easier. I feel that if English were my native tongue, it would be much harder.

pyroladgn
Diglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 43 of 43
15 May 2009 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
I second kevin_zhong. Being a native English speaker but having been raised in a primarily Hispanic-populated part of town alongside certain family members who either speak only Spanish (my grandparents) or speak very thickly accented English (my Mexican uncles), I can attest that when I started learning foreign languages I almost always pronounced them from a Spanish speaker's perspective.

e.g. I've been told by a French exchange student several years ago that my French had a Spanish accent. Also, I've been told by a Brazilian classmate that my Brazilian Portuguese had more of a Spanish accent than an English one.

I think this has more to do with my perception that Spanish vowel sounds are more "universal" in that (I presume) they are reproduced more closely in other languages (Russian, Japanese, whatever) than the typical English vowel pronunciations.

Correct me if I'm wrong or misguided ;)

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version