tesolzone.com/
Joined 5283 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 17 of 25
06 December 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I'm so jealous; I've got only one French-language Tintin and a smattering of English books as well
as a few English-language Asterix books. Even in English, they're not readily available here.

On your next trip to Europe stock up!
1 person has voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5851 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 25
20 February 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
My local library stocks Asterix in both English and Welsh versions. Admittedly I learnt to read English from Asterix and Tintin when I was a kid.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 25
20 February 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I only own a Latin and a Low German Asterix, but I have read a couple of them in French plus probably the complete series in Danish through loans from the local library. It would be fun to have the collection in languages that reflected the themes, including the one about vikings in Old Norse, the British one in Welsh (or maybe Anglosaxon), the German one in Old High German, the Belgian in half Flemish, half French and the Spanish one in Spanish ... or even better: each of these PLUS the original version in French. And yes, these languages would all be anachronistic - but so is French.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 20 of 25
08 December 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I love Asterix too - I only seem to be able to read them in French though; my brain seems
to have a mental block on reading them in any other language. I was in Forbes in London a
few months ago and attempted to read one or two in German and Latin, but I had to put
them down and get the French versions. I didn't much like French before getting into
Asterix, but now I love French and I think Asterix, and the discovery of BDs in general,
is a massive part of that.

Jack

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 21 of 25
09 December 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Asterix is wonderful! Asterix and Cleopatra was the first book in French I had ever got and read. But I had no idea it was translated to Latin as well.

Christine
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6437 days ago

41 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 25
03 March 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I have read all of the Asterix volumes up to "Asterix and the Falling Sky", I just couldn't stand the thought of aliens visiting the Gaulish village. When I was a child, we only had the German versions, but later I got a copy of "Asterix and the Goths" in Bavarian German (funny) and also read "Asterix and the Magic Carpet" in Swabian German (even funnier). But reading foreign-language Asterix versions is a great idea, and since I need to improve my French anyway, I guess it's about time to get hold of the originals.

Edited by Christine on 03 March 2012 at 6:25pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 23 of 25
07 June 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
I just ordered my first Asterix and Tintin books ... I'll finally get to see what they hype is about. I'm looking forward to it!

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5693 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 24 of 25
07 June 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I haven't seen this thread before!

I'm a BIG fan of Asterix. I've read that again and again since I was a kid, already started to read it to my little son and have been a member of an internet "Quiz about Asterix" group since 2004 (in Orkut).

I have all Portuguese, French and German books, a few in Latin and one in Esperanto.

Edited by Flarioca on 07 June 2012 at 5:53pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version