reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6232 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 57 of 182
24 November 2008 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
The 2008 Total Annihilation Challenge is closed. We are passing the following judgment:

2007 TAC

Finalists: Sheetz, Volte, Serpent, Egg-uk

Winner: Sheetz

2008 TAC

Finalists: DaraghM

Honorable mention:

Sheetz, Charlmartell, Sunja, Evita, rekunoto, zenmonkey

Tricoteuse – Although not officially a contestant, Tricoteuse participated in spirit and certainly deserves a mention. The same goes for Luke and his monster Spanish log.

The most entertaining log: Charlmartell
Charlmartell started very strong but lost steam at a crucial moment.

Winner: After 48 long pages of log entries We can safely proclaim DaraghM THE WINNER OF THIS YEAR’S CHALLENGE. All other contestants have been annihilated and should bow their head in shame.

No special titles will be awarded. We are not impressed.

The 2008 TAC is now closed. The early closing will allow future contestants about 30 days to gather materials and ponder about their greatest challenge ever: The 2009 Total Annihilation Challenge – extreme. Unlike the other two, this challenge will last one whole year.

The (unofficial) rules, short and simple:

At the very start please state your current knowledge of your target language(s). Work out a plan or simply start without one. Do declare your target languages and whether or not you intend to follow a particular method. Maybe you CAN do Assimil every day.

You may start a new log or rename an old log. Add TAC/09 to the name. In case you’re reusing an old log edit the first post to account for this. Mention the page number where your 2009 log entries begin. It is ok to keep a record somewhere else and link to it. Create log entries, blog posts etc. and try studying as much as possible – certainly more than you would normally do. Write about course materials, hours studied, and document any major effort and this includes things like TV, movies, comics and music. It’s ok to give weekly, biweekly, or even (hopefully detailed) monthly reports. Log entries should not be a chore.

The ultimate goal is to have fun, remain motivated and actually accomplish something concrete. As the very minimum for 2009 you should try to bring a couple of languages to a useable level. This may include languages you have previously studied or that you are currently studying. If you can only afford time to do one language, or you intend to do an intensive course in only one language and don't want distractions that's ok -do a great job. On the passive side you should be able to read and follow TV programs with relative ease. On the active side, let me quote from Black Adder’s conversation with the Comte de Frou Frou, an escapee from Revolutionary France:

BA: Do you speak English?
F: A little...
BA: Yes, when you say "a little," what exactly do you mean? I mean, can we talk? or are we going to spend the rest of the afternoon asking each other the way to the beach in very loud voices?
F: Ah, no. I can, er, order coffee, deal with waiters, make sexy chit-chat with girls -- that type of thing.
BA: Oh, good.
F: Just don't ask me to take a physiology class or direct a light opera.
BA: No, no, I won't.

For your other languages, those that qualify as "intermediate" or "advanced" you should be able to declare a noticeable improvement and claim the next proficiency level. For a language that is very advanced but neglected, you should be able to report that tingly sensation that your favorite language has been revived and is alive and kicking. For anything deemed advanced you should present a sizeable reading list.

Edited by reineke on 20 December 2008 at 2:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5779 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish

Message 58 of 182
24 November 2008 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a challenge. Sign me up, I'll make a new log closer to the kick off date. I'll go with Spanish, as I started it last week with a plan to 'like totally annihilate it', and another, possibly German and/or just aim to further improve my French. We will see.

Thom.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5865 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 59 of 182
24 November 2008 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I bow my head in Shame.

I will try to make up for my awful failure this year by doing well(ish) in 2009.

So, the kick of date is 24th of December (30 days from day of posting) - for Christians/Westerners that's Christmas eve - I will be ready then!

...hopefully

Can't wait - will make a log closer to the time.

TEL

Sapphire
Germany
Joined 5642 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 60 of 182
24 November 2008 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I'd love to participate as well, as I'm always a little lazy unfortunately. I am a total newbie when it comes to learning languages more or less on my own (that's why I didn't post so far..), so maybe that will keep my motivation up.

The language I choose is Mandarin Chinese as I started learning it about a month ago. I have no skills in it so far (well, i can greet... ;) ). I will have to think what could be possible in the given time, so I don't have a goal yet.

Btw: when will the challenge end? Did I overlook that?

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5779 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish

Message 61 of 182
24 November 2008 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
Well since they called this one early, I'd say that next years will finish in December. The exact date, well that'd be up to someone else.
*edit* reread it. Challenge goes for one whole year. So christmas day to christmas day would make sense.

Oh and welcome aboard Sapphire.

Edited by ExtraLean on 24 November 2008 at 4:19am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5870 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 62 of 182
24 November 2008 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
New challenge? I'm there!

Let's see, I'll try to begin to define a good starting point...and of course goals (gotta have those)...

2009, here we come!

Viola
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5842 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Japanese, Latin, German, French

Message 63 of 182
24 November 2008 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
I think I might give this a go...I'm kinda lazy and a bit shy when it comes to posting here so maybe starting a TAC will give me the boost I need :) Do we have any more specific parameters other than 1 year long and two languages to a useable level?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6224 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 64 of 182
24 November 2008 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Yep - 2008 has not been a good year for language study and I. That's finally turning around though, happily.

Count me in for 2009. I've now written about a subset of my goals. Due to very different circumstances from last year, I think they're achievable.

This discussion contains 182 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version