United States
Joined 6616 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 9
30 April 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Hello Professor,

Your post on the ideal approach to Korean was very informative. You've written in the past that Persian is probably your favorite language; would you mind writing an "ideal systematic approach" for it?

I currently have sufficient free time to study at FSI levels, that is, 6+ hours a day. I've already purchased the 'Modern Persian Conversation Grammar' you recommended in another post, along with 'Teach Yourself Persian' by John Mace.

Thanks,
Kevin Sakuraba
1 person has voted this message useful

anavidi
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 2 of 9
30 April 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Professor,

I want to second the request for an ideal systematic approach to Persian. I would also add, that I do not speak French (at this time) which would rule out Assimil.

I have been using your shadowing technique with a little known Persian reader (50 Articles 2nd edition by Manuchehr Kouchak and Parvin Kouchak with accompanying audio).

Thanks,
Ali

anavidi
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 4 of 9
01 May 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I have been tutoring with the author Parvin Kouchak in the DC area. She and her husband wrote the book and recorded the audio.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7042 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 5 of 9
04 May 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I am not writing from home today, and I need to do that to look over my sources, so I am very sorry, but this will have to wait a bit…

KSaku39
Diglot
United States
Joined 6616 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Studies: French

Message 6 of 9
08 May 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:

2 didactic bilingual texts + recordings (i.e., Assimil and/or Linguaphone type courses)
1 birds eye overview grammar (i.e., Hugo’s type course)
2 grammatical explanation and exercise books (i.e., TYS and/or Colloquial type course)
An educated native with whom to speak
An exhaustive set of pattern drill-like exercises (i.e., FSI type course)
In-depth reference grammars
Detailed comparative grammars of the Indo-Aryan languages
A good set of bi-lingual texts of native literature
Good, clear, large-type original texts + audio (i.e., audiobooks for the blind)
Good dictionaries

Filling in the blanks with this post and an earlier post you made on Persian, I came up with this:

Le Persan Sans Peine
Thackston's Persian grammar
'Teach Yourself Persian' by Mace and 'Colloquial Persian' by Abi Rafiee
Spoken Persian
'Modern Persian Conversation Grammar' and 'Persian' by Lambston
'Persian Fiction Reader' by Hillman

Any other recommendations, or advice on how to most effectively proceed through the materials?

Edited by KSaku39 on 08 May 2008 at 3:35pm

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7042 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 7 of 9
11 May 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Sakuraba, it is actually very difficult to recommend a general ideal systematic plan of approach to Persian. Just as one of the posters is using a “little known” reader, so there are many such works for Persian. Indeed, I would say that, for some reason or other, this language particularly abounds with out-of-print and/or poorly distributed but excellent manuals and readers. Thus, I hesitate to make general recommendations as I do not know what resources are available to a given learner. Those listed above are all adequate, but other works could and perhaps preferably should be substituted for them. If this is to be a truly serious undertaking, then in order to be sure that you are really selecting the best texts for you to work with, it would probably be worth your while to come scrutinize what I have available in my resource center and to develop a personal progress and study plan.

In any case, if at all possible, I would emphatically recommend starting any study of Persian with Farhad Sobhani’s Persisches Lehr- und Lesebuch, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter & Co., 1962. This is truly one of the very best language textbooks I have ever seen for any language, a pleasure and a joy to work with, and a means of getting you reading intelligent and interesting texts in large, clear script right away. Only a small but still adequate portion of it was recorded, and I believe it would be a great service to translate it into English and simultaneously have the entire text recorded. Likewise, Dr. Sobhani’s Persisch-deutsches Wörterbuch, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter & Co., 1971, is an absolutely indispensable resource. Organized by means of a key that enables you to turn almost immediately to the correct page, this dictionary contains the 10,000 most important Persian words, which have been so well selected that it is rather refreshingly rare that you need to access a larger one. If you happen to be a leaner who can proceed by memorizing words, then this would clearly be an ideal place to start. If not (and I myself certainly am not), then this is a fantastic tool to begin reading real literature much more swiftly than you normally be able to hope.

5 persons have voted this message useful

IowaHawkeye
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5668 days ago

42 posts - 42 votes
Studies: Portuguese

Message 8 of 9
01 May 2009 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Rather than double post, I've taken the liberty of updating this old thread. I have set out on the task to learn Persian. I notice that you list the following materials as 'adequate' for the study of Persian:

Le Persan Sans Peine (This I cannot use as I don't trust my level of French)
Thackston's Persian grammar
'Teach Yourself Persian' by Mace and 'Colloquial Persian' by Abi Rafiee
Spoken Persian
'Modern Persian Conversation Grammar' and 'Persian' by Lambston
'Persian Fiction Reader' by Hillman

You also state the following:
Quote:
In any case, if at all possible, I would emphatically recommend starting any study of Persian with Farhad Sobhani’s Persisches Lehr- und Lesebuch, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter & Co., 1962. This is truly one of the very best language textbooks I have ever seen for any language, a pleasure and a joy to work with, and a means of getting you reading intelligent and interesting texts in large, clear script right away. Only a small but still adequate portion of it was recorded, and I believe it would be a great service to translate it into English and simultaneously have the entire text recorded. Likewise, Dr. Sobhani’s Persisch-deutsches Wörterbuch, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter & Co., 1971, is an absolutely indispensable resource.

While these do sound like excellent resources that would be insanely beneficial to me, I'm afraid that the only language I know well enough to study another language in is my native language of English. Therefore, I'm hoping that within the past year you may have stumbled upon something that I would find useful. You normally have very useful information on little known gems for other languages, can you tell me if you have anything up your sleeve for Persian?

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version