Finland
Joined 6434 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Italian, Russian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
07 May 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Funny coincidence. I ordered My French Coach from PlayAsia just a couple days ago. I only paid 16 euros so it was really cheap.

One review said that there were some problems with word pronunciation but it was rare and it wasn't that serious. I think it was review from IGN.com so look up from there.
1 person has voted this message useful

cbell74
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 17
07 May 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I own both My French Coach and My Spanish Coach and generally recommend the titles.

PROS:
Huge vocabulary
Easy to understand pronounciations
Ability to record your voice and compare it to the program
Decent variety of games to increase memory retention

CONS:
A lot of useless vocabulary. For example, the Spanish word for "bumper" and "Philistine" have been covered in my game while basic words such as north, south, east and west have not. Hmmm...which one will I be more likely to use?

Some of the phrases are mispronounced. I noticed several occasions where phrases were supposed to be in one tense but the actual sound file was in a different tense.

Grammer is not explained very well. The program starts to throw out different tenses without explaining anything about them. It also does a poor job explaining direct and indirect objects.

==

With that said, for $20 US, this is a great little program to increase your vocabulary. It seems to work well if you are doing other methods for studying and not just relying on it. If the developers had greatly reduced the vocabulary to add a lot more space for grammer, this program would really shine.

Edited by cbell74 on 07 May 2008 at 4:18pm

Curt21
Groupie
United States
Joined 6110 days ago

55 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 11 of 17
07 May 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I own "My Spanish Coach" and think it is great. It covers a lot of the basic vocabulary, but you have to really work hard to retain the words.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6724 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
07 May 2008 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Tada! A new series of language learning games has just been announced.
Mind your Language for 5 different languages; English, French, German, Japanese & Spanish.

It's great that game developers have finally realised that gamers want to learn Japanese.
The screenshots don't look that great though ... spelling out words and playing hang-man isn't going to help someone learn a language a great deal.
...Except for spelling?

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 13 of 17
08 May 2008 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
unzum wrote:
Tada! A new series of language learning games has just been announced.
Mind your Language for 5 different
languages; English, French, German, Japanese & Spanish.

No Mandarin, I see. T_T

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6578 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 14 of 17
08 May 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
unzum wrote:
I just love all the semi-educational games for the DS! There's a fair few English educational games but the range for Japan is just amazing!

Absolutely. They even have an "educational" section in the DS game aisle at toy stores, and I've seen educational titles on the shelves beside textbooks at bookstores. You can learn everything from geography to cooking with DS games (if you understand Japanese).

Ssizz wrote:
Nice! Do you know if they have plans to it to English and export it over to the States? A Hanzi game for the DS would definitely be worth the price.

Only if it's a major hit; most educational products are narrowly targeted at the Japanese market, but the odd big hit makes it overseas (like the Brain Training series).

dizzycloud
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6408 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 15 of 17
08 May 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Would you be able to give us a few examples of how advanced the vocab goes in both the French and Spanish one?!?! Just curious...I know you've said it gets quite advanced but different people have different ideas of what 'advanced' is!

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 16 of 17
25 August 2008 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Ssizz wrote:

No Mandarin, I see. T_T

I just saw there is suppose to be a My Chinese Coach released this month. My Japanese Coach is being released in September. Of course these are from the My ___ Coach series creators UBI Soft and not Mind Your Language.

Edited by alang on 29 August 2008 at 1:29am

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version