FXcuisine.com
Joined 7156 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 54
06 August 2005 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Romanian is the only major Romance language that I would have no real reason to learn. It is a pity since it looks quite interesting with its Balkan sprachbund features and a large country. I sure like Vlad Dracul but the sound of the language is not immediately appealing to me.

I wonder if the Romanian speakers on this forum or anybody else could suggest reasons to learn Romanian?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 2 of 54
06 August 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Are you considering moving on to another language FX?
I found this:
11 Random Reasons to Learn Romanian
2 persons have voted this message useful

Thomaskim
Groupie
Joined 7049 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 

Message 3 of 54
06 August 2005 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Administrator wrote:
I wonder if the Romanian speakers on this forum or anybody else could suggest reasons to learn Romanian?

I recently started tuning in on TV Romania and was surprised to find out I could follow most of it (especially the news) though I had never studied the language.

I'm a native speaker of Italian and I believe Romanian is closest to Italian out of all the Romance languages.

I would recommend trying watching it if you already speak Italian. You might end up getting an extra (passive) language under your belt. This I'm sure will open an exciting window on Romania and Moldova.

Edited by administrator on 06 August 2005 at 11:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

czech
United States
Joined 6974 days ago

395 posts - 378 votes 
Studies: English*

Message 4 of 54
06 August 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Since your mother tongue is French, plus you speak Italian and Spanish, I don't think you need many reasons for learning it with the fact that you could pick it up just like that. In three months you could be a bigger polyglot. By the way, how's Russian coming along?

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6884 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 54
06 August 2005 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Yes, from the (very) little information I know about Romanian I would have to say that Italian shares the closest link. As far as reasons for learning? I say personal enrichment. :) For me there might be some reason actually, as I have a friend named Vladimir (how fitting) who was born in Romania.

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7156 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 54
07 August 2005 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, Romanian would probably be relatively easy but if I go for it I'd like to speak it really well, and I imagine that learning to speak without mistakes and with a good, idiomatic vocabulary must still take time and effort. To feed the necessary willpower I need to know what lie beneath the doors that this language open. Otherwise, there are many languages that are just as easy that are likely candidates.

I get Romanian TV but to me it is not hugely transparent like Italian would sound to a French. I must say the sound of the language is not extremely appealing to me so far, but this is probably an unfair and quick judgement. If anybody could recommend a Romanian singer whose magical voice would make me love the language, like Jacques Brel singing in Dutch made me love the sound of Dutch, please let me know.

Several asked about my Russian - I have no plans to drop Russian in order to study Romanian now but am however looking for a new language to study in about a years's time. I have updated my profile in the Members Profile room with more details about my Russian and where I am now for those interested.

Edited by administrator on 07 August 2005 at 12:15pm

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6987 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 7 of 54
08 August 2005 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

I'm not a Romanian speaker, but I would mention the song "Dragostea din tei" as a good reason to learn the language. I mean, there is a lot behind this sweet language.

depends
Romania
theecho.ro
Joined 6651 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 8 of 54
01 February 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
You can find below a link with some reasons to start learning Romanian.

learn romanian

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version