Greece
Joined 5031 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 49 of 54
25 July 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
laina wrote:

A band called Transylvania Phoenix also have some songs worth listening to.

This was reason enough for me to start learning it!! However, this music is rather a "baptism of fire" as the lyrics contain a lot of vocabulary no longer in use and obscure references to mythology and poetry, probably not such a good starting point for a beginner. The music and lyrics of this band fascinates me, though. For the curious, here's more info

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1586

Of course, I'm not suggesting that music should be the sole reason for learning it, there are many reasons and motivations for learning a language: visiting the country, friends speak it, internet surfing, studying in the country, etc. For me now the main motivation is that I have many friends who speak it and encourage me to learn.

There aren't too many resources for learning Romanian, and almost none at all for advanced learners. For me the most useful ones have proved to be

http://cnt.dnt.md/romint/undp/index.php
http://www.ilr.ro/apl.php?idap=12
http://dexonline.ro/
http://www.wordreference.com/

The second link provides practice and test materials for all levels of the CEF (Common European Framework) from A1 to C2 including information for those interested in obtaining a certificate of Romanian language. It also has some self-evaluation tests, which I found extremely useful.

Quite a good (though slightly boring) grammar reference and practice book is

Limba Română. Manual Pentru Studenţii Străini (Grigore Brâncuş, Adriana Ionescu, Manuela Saramandu)

I would really like to spend more time in Romania and explore the landscape and culture a bit more, maybe a period of 2 or 3 months or so, but I'm not sure how to manage this. Any suggestions? :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Offizer
Tetraglot
Romania
Joined 4920 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English, French, Greek
Studies: German

Message 50 of 54
12 November 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Well, depends on how much money you plan on spending for this...
1 person has voted this message useful

pobere
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
language-learning-lo
Joined 5150 days ago

83 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, German, English

Message 51 of 54
12 November 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 

To read Nichita Stanescu, a great Romanian writer.
2 persons have voted this message useful

HellBells
Romania
Joined 4874 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Romanian*

Message 52 of 54
28 December 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
Spoken Romanian sounds similar to Italian (with some Slavic sounds thrown in for good measure) and written Romanian does resemble the other Romance languages in some ways, but overall it almost seems to be in a league of its own with all those cases and Slavic influences. I once heard that a good knowledge of Latin would help you more with Romanian than with any of the other modern Romance languages although I cannot really say how true this may be.

the romanian grammar is almost the same with the latin grammar. For a good romanian speaker is very easy to understand Spanish, Italian, french, portuguese.

dotdotdot
Diglot
United States
Joined 5013 days ago

24 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Korean, English*
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 53 of 54
30 December 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Since that's the language you got when you wrote down random languages in a circle like a dart board, attach it to a wall, and then threw a dart at the wall blindfolded.

badeaghio
Diglot
Switzerland
Joined 4834 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 54 of 54
20 July 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Just to dig this thread out again: I am really moved that people make an effort to learn Romanian for the way it sounds, or just that it's a pleasure to learn (I must say I find this hard to believe).

Just for the fun of it, I can help you, as I'm a native speaker. Of course, for free. My command of English isn't at the C2 level, but I can manage.

Have fun!

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version