FCO Classification of Languages

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5844 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Croatian, Serbian, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Faroese

Message 1 of 6
11 May 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I remember a while back reading a book which described how the FCO (British Foreign Office) categorised languages in terms of difficulty.

Diplomats are given 'hard language' training - they are expected to learn 'easy' ones such as Spanish or German in their spare time (if memory serves correct, they were advised to spend 100 hours of independent study of these easy languages).

Much has probably changed since the book was written and my memory is a little sketchy but think the table went something like this (languages provided just illustrative - not extensive!):

Level 1
Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Portugese

Level 2
Swahili, Icelandic, Malay, Indonesian, Romanian

Level 3
Finnsh, Croatian, Serbian, Latvian, Czech, Hungarian

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5
Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean

Would be great if anyone has the original list or knew of a similar table classifying languages by their difficulty to learn for English speakers

Edited by Garaidh on 11 May 2008 at 3:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5844 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Croatian, Serbian, French

Message 2 of 6
11 May 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
As a means of comparison, found this on the US Department of STate website. Would be nice though to find an analysis that has more than 3 levels and takes into consideration minority languages:

Language difficulty
The Foreign Service Institute of the Department (FSI) of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages based on the length of time it takes to achieve Speaking 3: General Professional Proficiency in Speaking (S3) and Reading 3: General Professional Proficiency in Reading (R3). The list is limited to languages taught at the Foreign Service Institute.

It must be kept in mind that that students at FSI are almost 40 years old, are native speakers of English. and have a good aptitude for formal language study, plus knowledge of several other foreign languages. They study in small classes of no more than 6. Their schedule calls for 25 hours of class per week with 3-4 hours per day of directed self-study.

Category I: Languages closely related to English
23-24 weeks (575-600 class hours)

Afrikaans Danish
Dutch
French
Italian Norwegian
Portuguese
Romanian
Spanish
Swedish
Category II: Languages with significant linguistic
and/or cultural differences from English
44 weeks (1100 class hours)
Albanian
Amharic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Bengali
Bosnian
Bulgarian
Burmese
Croatian
Czech
*Estonian
*Finnish
*Georgian
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
*Hungarian
Icelandic
Khmer
Lao
Latvian Lithuanian
Macedonian
*Mongolian
Nepali
Pashto
Persian (Dari, Farsi, Tajik)
Polish
Russian
Serbian
Sinhalese
Slovak
Slovenian
Tagalog
*Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Uzbek
*Vietnamese
Xhosa
Zulu
Category III: Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers
88 weeks (second year of study in-country)
(2200 class hours)
Arabic
Cantonese
Mandarin
*Japanese
Korean
Other languages
German 30 weeks (750 class hours)
Indonesian, Malaysian, Swahili 36 weeks (900 class hours)

* Languages preceded by asterisks are typically somewhat more difficult for native English speakers to learn than other languages in the same category.

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5921 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 3 of 6
11 May 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
You get 9 months for the sudy of level three languages and German (3A).
Danish;
Dutch;
East African Group (Swahili is the only one I've seen taught);
French;
Icelandic;
Italian;
Malay/Indonesian;
Norwegian;
Portuguese (Brazilian/European);
Romanian;
Spanish (Castillan/Latin America);
Swedish and
Tagalog (£540 for a full diploma).
This list, notably Tagalog, is tempered by operational need. The Philippines is US turf, so we don't really expend much effort in teaching it.
All the rest are 18 months. The ones you can get financial rewards for are Level 2: Albanian;
Bulgarian;
Czech;
Finnish;
Greek;
Gurkhali (NOT Nepali);
Hebrew;
Hungarian;
Indic languages (Urdu/Hindi are seperate, also Punabi, Pothwari and Nepali);
Farsi;
Polish;
Serbo-Croat (still one exam in either Latin or Cyrillic for both languages);
Slovak and
Turkish(£1080 for a diploma).
I think Pashtu has been added to this list. I've seen someone studying Ukrainian but it's not on the list so he doesn't get a bonus!
Level 1: Arabic;
Cantonese;
Mandarin;
Japanese;
Korean;
Russian and
Thai (£1620).
Someone is studying Georgian and he also is not due a financial award which is plain unfair! Note lack of Burmese; Somali and KiShona.
By no means are all these languages being taught, some probably never have been but this is the list of languages which have been deemed "relevant to the actual or potential needs of the Service."

Edited by Fat-tony on 11 May 2008 at 4:23pm

Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5844 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 

Message 4 of 6
11 May 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Really interesting Fat Tony! Thanks for above!

geo47
Diglot
United States
Joined 5804 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Japanese, English*

Message 5 of 6
02 June 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
does anyone know how much crossover there is between mandarin and japanese? i speak, read, and write japanese and i know the 1900 basic Japanese kanji (chinese characters). although when i say "chinese characters", i don't know if mandarin-speakers use the exact same things? does anyone know how difficult it would be for a japanese speaker to learn chinese (approximate class hours)? thanks

ElfoEscuro
Diglot
United States
cyworld.com/brahmapu
Joined 6070 days ago

408 posts - 423 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 6
03 June 2008 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Garaidh wrote:
As a means of comparison, found this on the US Department of STate website. Would be nice though to find an analysis that has more than 3 levels and takes into consideration minority languages:

Language difficulty
The Foreign Service Institute of the Department (FSI) of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages based on the length of time it takes to achieve Speaking 3: General Professional Proficiency in Speaking (S3) and Reading 3: General Professional Proficiency in Reading (R3). The list is limited to languages taught at the Foreign Service Institute.

It must be kept in mind that that students at FSI are almost 40 years old, are native speakers of English. and have a good aptitude for formal language study, plus knowledge of several other foreign languages. They study in small classes of no more than 6. Their schedule calls for 25 hours of class per week with 3-4 hours per day of directed self-study.

Category I: Languages closely related to English
23-24 weeks (575-600 class hours)

Afrikaans Danish
Dutch
French
Italian Norwegian
Portuguese
Romanian
Spanish
Swedish
Category II: Languages with significant linguistic
and/or cultural differences from English
44 weeks (1100 class hours)
Albanian
Amharic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Bengali
Bosnian
Bulgarian
Burmese
Croatian
Czech
*Estonian
*Finnish
*Georgian
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
*Hungarian
Icelandic
Khmer
Lao
Latvian Lithuanian
Macedonian
*Mongolian
Nepali
Pashto
Persian (Dari, Farsi, Tajik)
Polish
Russian
Serbian
Sinhalese
Slovak
Slovenian
Tagalog
*Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Uzbek
*Vietnamese
Xhosa
Zulu
Category III: Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers
88 weeks (second year of study in-country)
(2200 class hours)
Arabic
Cantonese
Mandarin
*Japanese
Korean
Other languages
German 30 weeks (750 class hours)
Indonesian, Malaysian, Swahili 36 weeks (900 class hours)

* Languages preceded by asterisks are typically somewhat more difficult for native English speakers to learn than other languages in the same category.

In my opinion, Amharic, Georgian, Xhosa, & Zulu should probably be category III.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version