Finland
Joined 6425 days ago

156 posts - 156 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 9 of 21
14 May 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Mnemosyne doesn't randomize it's repetitions?

I'm a supermemo user, but I was going to try mnemosyne for my GMAT words list.
1 person has voted this message useful

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5904 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 
Studies: Russian, Esperanto, Sanskrit, Japanese

Message 10 of 21
14 May 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
badger2 wrote:

To my knowledge, it does. I've been using the program for a while, and I'd certainly recommend it. It's less buggy than Anki and Supermemo, and has a much nicer interface. It's slightly lacking in features, but would still be my program of choice and has all the features most people would need.

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6378 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 21
14 May 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
derefed wrote:
I also like that you don't have to make reverse duplicates of every card (for instance, a "die Abwehr"/"defense" card and a "defense"/"die Abwehr" card) like you do in Mnemosyne and Anki, and that you can tell it when and when not to flip cards in tests. The category tree provides good organization as well.

Thanks very much for the suggestion!

It's possible with Anki, although I wouldn't recommend it. It's most likely to confuse you when doing it. Also, Anki DOES radomize the words/sentences (I only use whole sentences), according to the queue based on the number you gave it. Personally I also use the online feature with my phone, as I travel 1.5 hour a day by train.

In my opinion SRS is the best that happened to me. I wouldn't be able to speak as fluent as I can now if I didn't use SRS.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6723 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 21
14 May 2008 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
unzum wrote:
I'd recommend it over Anki because Anki doesn't let you put things into categories and it also has a slightly confusing method where you 'rate' how well you remembered the card.

I can see the point of only having two options - either you know the words or you don't.

However, I also think that a 0-4 rating has its merits, where you for Chinese and Japanese (and a few other languages) can use it in quite interesting ways. I don't pick "4" for a native->target word where I can't write the character, I may rate it as a "3" if my idea of the character is only slightly off or if I've chosen a synonyme (cf. "about right"), "2" if I know how to pronounce the word but nothing more, "1" if a tone is somewhat off (that happens often in two- or three syllable words), and of course "0" if I am nowhere close to the correct translation. And vice versa, from target to native. By the way, I never suspend a card.

Just a few thoughts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

gg_ashwood
Canada
Joined 5879 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Irish

Message 13 of 21
15 May 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Is it really SRS since it doesn't let you grade your memory of the card with a number? Also, you mention it being good for tests. I'm looking for long-term remembering. Would you still recommend it in that case?

Yes it is a SRS since it is using the Leitner System to determine the repetition intervals. It is just another style of "algorithm". Rather than you entering how well you have learned the word each time the system determines how well you have learned it over multiple repetitions. "Correct correct" will be repeated less than "correct incorrect correct" which in turn will be repeated less than "incorrect incorrect incorrect". :)

It is really matter of personal preference. You might want to have control each time of the "how well do I know this" metric (mnemosyne-style). Or you can stick to a yes/no response and let the system sort it out for you over time.

I once saw a program that was in-between. It didn't have a 1-5 it had a "did you know the answer?" [yes] [no] [kind of] set of responses.

derefed
United States
ultimatejourney.net/
Joined 6141 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: German, Swedish, French

Message 14 of 21
15 May 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
farrioth wrote:
badger2 wrote:

To my knowledge, it does. I've been using the program for a while, and I'd certainly recommend it. It's less buggy than Anki and Supermemo, and has a much nicer interface. It's slightly lacking in features, but would still be my program of choice and has all the features most people would need.

The last few times I used it, cards with the same rating were shown to me in the order in which I had entered the cards in. I suppose it could've just been a coincidence, but then I found this:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2035226&for um_id=537135

Not exactly the same problem I was having (this guy has his cards going in alphabetical order), but similar. Again, I could be wrong.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6232 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 21
16 May 2008 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
try quizlet, its an online version that can be shared, and there are plenty that you can already try. i quite like it

gg_ashwood
Canada
Joined 5879 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Irish

Message 16 of 21
16 May 2008 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
egg_uk wrote:
try quizlet, its an online version that can be shared, and there are plenty that you can already try. i quite like it

great site, although there's no spaced repetition I believe

Edited by gg_ashwood on 16 May 2008 at 11:59am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version