Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 28
31 August 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
This thread is a year old but I'm thinking about trying what Keith did. (Thanks for recounting your work, Keith, if you're listening ^^)

I have a whole notebook of unknowns that I just jot down when I read this, that and the other -- and it's a big mess. I have parts of phrases like とすると (what I thought might come in useful if I ever wanted to quote something..) along with nouns, verbs etc.

My notebook is getting really full and I'm not reviewing the words because I'm too busy studying at smart.fm where I study lists of -- MORE -- words. So I have a ton of HALF-memorized words and I'm getting nowhere.   

I've started a totally new group of words on the subject of influenza (yeah, I know, fun topic) but it's been in the news and I've come across some chat room discussion on the subject, and I thought this would be the right time to try to memorize a group of words by subject. I started by going to the Japanese Wiki and translating everything I could find that wasn't so medically far-out not be of any use to me at this learning stage. Words like 症状 (symptom). I've translated about 50 words and now I think I'll try listing them kanji-kana-English-kanji.

Anybody else doing themed wordlists?

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 28
02 September 2009 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
hehe ... funny how those old threads keep popping up. I will not comment on the use of wordlists for non alphabetical because I don't deal with those. But I have cut back on my use of themed wordlists because I tend to confuse 50 kinds of berries or 50 kinds of birds. It is however OK to learn a list of maybe 5-10 words with similar meaning, after that it becomes counterproductive. Themes based on grammars are also OK, such as lists of verbs that have a certain ending. But generally themes lead to monotony which leads to boredome and bad results.

I am going to write a lot more about wordlists in this new subforum soon

Edited by Iversen on 04 September 2009 at 10:25am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 27 of 28
02 September 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
ooh, I would get bored! I don't care for grammar lists. I'm starting to see what you mean about the birds/berries. I'm having a native check one of my themed lists. I have several different words for "store/supermarket". I'm assuming that most countries have something akin to a supermarket and something akin to a neighborhood store. My target language has a dozen words for such terms. I've even run into a sub-list of "market" terms. Whoa.

I for one am glad these old threads are popping up. It makes me rethink my learning. It probably won't last. Soon I'll have to jump onto something new to keep my interest, but I've learned a lot from lists so far, and (of course) they naturally breed more questions which lead to -- more learning. Am I rambling..? ^^

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6312 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 28 of 28
21 January 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
As my learning method has evolved, I've found that word lists work but then there are a lot of words that somehow do not stick.

So I'm bringing back this old thread to experiment with two concepts:

1)- I'm going to try to be a little less rote-like in the use of lists and identify words that I feel are clear in their meaning (context is understood) and then those that require that I create a context around - this will require short sentences. Other words, Hints.

2) - I was not happy keeping lists around, very quickly I have twenty sheets floating all over the place - I'm going to try to keep them in one place and one place only - a notebook. This is part of an ongoing struggle to keep my material (self-)organized.

Cheers.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version